How Does Friction Affect the Final Speed of a Particle on a Curved Path?

In summary: So, if the work done by the friction is W:W = F * Dthen the final energy after the particle has moved a distance D is:E = W * (2Rk - mg)
Picrill

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m is moving along a path composed by two two quarters of circumference of radius R (see attached picture). The spring acting on the particle has a known constant equal to k and an equilibrium length equal to R (the radius again). Due to friction, on the particle acts a constant force F. Find the speed of the particle when it gets on the table.

Homework Equations

Final speed of the particle?

The Attempt at a Solution

I would start by finding the total initial energy of the system, namely the potential energy stored in the spring plus the potential energy of the particle. The spring is compressed by mg/k so its energy is 1/2 (mg/k)^2. Therefore the mass energy is mg(R - mg/k). Summing this with some algebra I get:

E = 1/2 * (mg/k) * (2Rk - mg)

Then I have no idea how to use this. The kinetic energy theorem does not work, because there is friction, right? Anything?

Thanks!

Attachments

• prob021.jpg
    prob021.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 400
Physics news on Phys.org
I feel retarded but I don't see where the edit button is, so I'm just going to write something here. I wanted to make clear that F in the problem is the friction force experienced by the particle. And also, my calculations above are wrong, the spring is stretched by R at the initial position (see picture).

I can't see your figure yet, as it is pending approval by the forum administrators, so my following comment may or may not apply.

You can use energy "conservation" if the friction force F acts over a known distance D. The final energy will not be equal to the initial energy, but instead will be reduced by a certain amount.

That "certain amount" is the work done by the friction (and there is a simple formula relating work to force and distance).

1. What is a particle with a strange path?

A particle with a strange path is a subatomic particle that behaves in a unique and unpredictable manner compared to other particles. It may exhibit properties such as oscillation, zigzagging, or looping trajectories, which are not typically seen in other particles.

2. How do particles with strange paths behave?

Particles with strange paths can behave in a variety of ways depending on their specific properties. Some may interact with other particles, while others may exist in a state of superposition, meaning they can exist in multiple places at the same time. Their behavior is often described using mathematical equations and models.

3. What causes particles with strange paths?

The exact cause of a particle's strange path is not fully understood, but it is thought to be due to its unique quantum properties. These particles are governed by the laws of quantum mechanics, which can lead to unusual and unexpected behavior.

4. Can we observe particles with strange paths?

Yes, particles with strange paths have been observed and studied in various experiments, such as particle accelerators. However, their behavior can be difficult to predict and measure, making them a challenging subject for scientists to study.

5. What is the significance of particles with strange paths?

Particles with strange paths have important implications for our understanding of the universe and the fundamental laws of physics. They can help us study the nature of matter and energy on a subatomic level and may also have practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and technology.