Particles/waves that self-propogate

• Thread starter zewpals
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of self-propagating particles, specifically in regards to photons and their requirement to travel at the speed of light. The participants also touch on the idea of momentum and energy in relation to the particle-like behavior of light.
zewpals
Are there self-propagating particles? Does a photon, for instance, self-propagate? If so, is it required that they travel the speed of light?

Physics news on Phys.org
What does self-propagate mean? A particle in motion will remain in motion until a force acts upon it. I am not sure if that counts as self propagating.

Wow, I cannot believe I completely ignored that law. Haha thanks. This thread is over now :D

zewpals said:
Does a photon, for instance, self-propagate? If so, is it required that they travel the speed of light?

By way of a footnote: Does a photon self-propagate due to its momentum or as an E-B field interaction? If a photon is assumed to travel at [c], it has no rest mass [tex][m_0=0][/tex], so what are the implications of the following composite of Einstein’s and Planck’s equations?

[tex]E=mc^2=\sqrt{m_0^2c^4+\rho^2c^2} \Rightarrow \rho c = hf[/tex]

If [h] and [c] are treated as constants, then momentum is directly proportional to frequency. Possibly the attached cartoon puts it all into perspective:smile:

Attachments

• 213.duality.jpg
    213.duality.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 423
I thought that the particle-like behavior of light was that it transmits discrete amounts of energy, i.e. the amount of energy it carries is not continuously variable. I think the doppler effects light is susceptible to indicate that it behaves more like a wave than a particle of matter with constant momentum once in motion and unaffected by exogenous forces.

1. What are self-propagating particles/waves?

Self-propagating particles/waves are a type of matter or energy that has the ability to move or spread without the need for an external force or source of energy. They possess their own inherent energy that allows them to continue moving or propagating.

2. How do self-propagating particles/waves work?

The mechanism for self-propagation can vary depending on the specific type of particle/wave. Some particles, such as photons, propagate through electromagnetic interactions, while others, like sound waves, propagate through mechanical vibrations. In general, self-propagating particles/waves have energy that is continuously replenished, allowing them to continue moving or propagating.

3. What are some examples of self-propagating particles/waves?

Examples of self-propagating particles/waves include photons, electrons, sound waves, and ocean waves. Other examples include chemical reactions, which can propagate through a medium, and biological processes, such as nerve impulses, which propagate through the body.

4. What are the properties of self-propagating particles/waves?

Self-propagating particles/waves have the ability to travel through a medium or space without the need for an external force. They also have the ability to transfer energy and momentum to other particles/waves as they propagate. Additionally, they can exhibit wave-like properties, such as diffraction and interference.

5. What are the applications of self-propagating particles/waves?

Self-propagating particles/waves have a wide range of applications in various fields such as communication, energy generation, and medical imaging. For example, electromagnetic waves are used in communication technologies like radios and cell phones, while self-propagating chemical reactions are used in energy generation processes like fire and combustion engines.