1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particles/waves that self-propogate

1. Jul 1, 2010 #1
    Are there self-propagating particles? Does a photon, for instance, self-propagate? If so, is it required that they travel the speed of light?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2010 #2
    What does self-propagate mean? A particle in motion will remain in motion until a force acts upon it. Im not sure if that counts as self propagating.

4. Jul 1, 2010 #3
    Wow, I cannot believe I completely ignored that law. Haha thanks. This thread is over now :D

5. Jul 2, 2010 #4

mysearch

Gold Member

By way of a footnote: Does a photon self-propagate due to its momentum or as an E-B field interaction? If a photon is assumed to travel at [c], it has no rest mass [tex][m_0=0][/tex], so what are the implications of the following composite of Einstein’s and Planck’s equations?

[tex]E=mc^2=\sqrt{m_0^2c^4+\rho^2c^2} \Rightarrow \rho c = hf[/tex]

If [h] and [c] are treated as constants, then momentum is directly proportional to frequency. Possibly the attached cartoon puts it all into perspective:smile:

Attached Files:

6. Jul 2, 2010 #5
    I thought that the particle-like behavior of light was that it transmits discrete amounts of energy, i.e. the amount of energy it carries is not continuously variable. I think the doppler effects light is susceptible to indicate that it behaves more like a wave than a particle of matter with constant momentum once in motion and unaffected by exogenous forces.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook