Particles with electric charges visible to the human eye?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of particles in the physics world with a positive or negative charge that can be seen by the human eye under LED light illumination and have an attraction/repulsion to magnetism. The participants debate the definition of "particle" and whether or not certain substances, such as dust or water droplets, can be considered particles. The conversation also includes videos and links to articles about detecting particles with the naked eye.
Joe Hagner
Are there any particles known in the Physics world with an either positive or negative charge that can be viewed by the human eye under LED light illumination and have an attraction/repulsion to magnetism?

Physics news on Phys.org
Joe Hagner said:
Are there any particles known in the Physics world with an either positive or negative charge that can be viewed by the human eye under LED light illumination and have an attraction/repulsion to magnetism?

Define by what you mean by "particle". I can charge tiny styrofoam "particles" and I can see this with my naked eyes. But does this count? Without any elaboration on your definition, I don't know.

Zz.

Likes kientapa
For instance carbon gas particles

Sure you can see big clumps of particles with a microscope or even individual particles with electron microscope.

gatopardos said:
Sure you can see big clumps of particles with a microscope or even individual particles with electron microscope.

Pretty sure he's referring to individual particles and naked eye

to which the answer would be noDave

Thanks Dave

Joe Hagner said:
Thanks Dave
If you look closely at the condensation window you can faintly see what I am seeing, these were placed inside the sealed bottle last night around 10 pm, out in the open they are repelled by N42 neodymium magnets, just curious if anyone has seen anything like this before and I have some more pictures and will be getting some higher quality pictures with different spectrums

Attachments

• 20160124_080506-1.jpg
    20160124_080506-1.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 674
Joe Hagner said:
If you look closely at the condensation window you can faintly see what I am seeing, these were placed inside the sealed bottle last night around 10 pm, out in the open they are repelled by N42 neodymium magnets, just curious if anyone has seen anything like this before and I have some more pictures and will be getting some higher quality pictures with different spectrums

I'm not exactly sure what you're getting at here. Are you saying that these are images of "individual particles"? I can see dust particles in the air whenever the light shines just right.

Look, I still think that your idea of "individual particle" is very vague (in fact, you've offered none other than a puzzling example even after I asked).

Here are the facts: well-known "particles", such as electrons, protons, etc... are WAY to small to be seen by our naked eyes. Period. The light that can be used in a similar fashion as what we ordinarily see have wavelengths that are just orders of magnitude too short to be within the visible range (they are also too energetic to be safely viewed with our eyes).

So unless you have a definitive length scale that you consider to be within your definition of "individual particles", the answer you'll get can range from "NO" to "YES", because your definition is fluid and appears to have no clear boundaries.

Zz,.

Likes davenn
agree with Zz

Joe, you need to define YOUR definition of particles
As Zz indicated, to a physicist, particles are atoms and sub-atomic particles that make up atoms

your pic shows water droplets they are huge in comparison and easily distinguishable to the naked eye and definitely don't fall into the
realm of what are termed particles

Dave

I took a video to try and better illustrate what I am seeing, just thought it was fascinating the wave and particle action. The video was taken in a room with no ventilation.

Joe Hagner said:
I took a video to try and better illustrate what I am seeing, just thought it was fascinating the wave and particle action. The video was taken in a room with no ventilation.

I appears that you have zero intention in addressing the issue that I had brought up, which makes this a one way conversation that I'm on longer interested in participating.

My point about dust particles still stand.

Zz.

These are C3H8O2 PG, atomised, not dust, and to my knowledge dust does not react to magnetism

Joe Hagner said:
These are C3H8O2 PG, atomised, not dust, and to my knowledge dust does not react to magnetism

This has nothing to do with magnetism, or charge particles. It has everything to do with SIZE and the definition of "particle" in your original question. To SEE something with your naked eyes does NOT require it to react with magnetism, or have a charge! It has everything to do with how that particle can be distinguished using light in the visible spectrum!

This "size" of a "particle" is what you have failed to define, and what is causing your question to be ambiguous.

Zz.

At what point in the video do you switch on the magnetic field? I couldn't see any obvious reaction.

I will post another video, with the N42 magnet, that was just the particles

davenn said:
Joe, you need to define YOUR definition of particles

He's been asked four times and for some inexplicable reason refuses to provide one. What is with all these questions where the OP pushes to keep the question vague?

Likes davenn
Vanadium 50 said:
He's been asked four times and for some inexplicable reason refuses to provide one. What is with all these questions where the OP pushes to keep the question vague?

I'm going to give up on this thread and move on :rolleyes:

I'm studying the effects PG after it has been ran through upward spiral coil at 40A .5 Ohm, from what I see it has an charge, I'm sorry I am a beginner to all of this, but here is another video you might have much more insight than me on , I'm sorry for the misclassification or naked eye at the beginning.

Closed pending moderation.

1. What are particles with electric charges visible to the human eye?

Particles with electric charges visible to the human eye are subatomic particles that carry an electric charge and can be seen with the naked eye. These particles include protons, neutrons, and electrons, which make up atoms and molecules.

2. How are these particles able to be seen with the naked eye?

These particles are able to be seen with the naked eye because they have a strong enough charge to interact with light and produce visible effects. When light hits these charged particles, it is either absorbed or reflected, creating colors that can be seen by the human eye.

3. What are the properties of these particles?

The properties of particles with electric charges visible to the human eye include mass, charge, and spin. Protons have a positive charge, neutrons have no charge, and electrons have a negative charge. They also have different masses and can spin in different directions.

4. How are these particles important in the study of electricity and magnetism?

Particles with electric charges visible to the human eye are crucial in the study of electricity and magnetism. Their interactions with electric and magnetic fields allow for the understanding of how electricity and magnetism work, and how they can be harnessed for various purposes.

5. Can these particles be seen in everyday life?

Yes, these particles can be seen in everyday life. For example, static electricity is caused by the movement of electrons from one object to another, and can be seen when hair sticks to a balloon. Additionally, electric charges are responsible for the colors we see in fireworks and the lights we use in our homes.