Particles: X(3872) and Z(4430) ?

• Thread starter Openeye
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particles
This means they are made up of smaller particles and are not the building blocks of matter. Further research is needed to understand their properties and how they fit into our current understanding of particle physics. In summary, the particles X(3872) and Z(4430) are not considered fundamental and are made of quarks. More research is needed to fully understand their properties and role in particle physics.
Openeye
Does anyone have more info about this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X(3872 )
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z(4430 )

Are these not considered fundamental or what makes them so different?

----
Additional info requested posted 'seperately' so as not to contaminate the thread with http://pastebay.com/114417" If you are addressing this side info please PM me so we can keep this thread about X(3872) and Z(4430) and not supposedly 're-open' the thread that's CLOSED. (I don't get it... how can _I_ (a non-moderator) re-open a thread that is closed/locked?)

Also, I originally posted my 'other' (no link to it) thread into quantum physics forum, but it was moved to this general physics forum. If I am asking a quantum physics question here, sorry, I am only posting here because I figure it would end up back here. Feel free to move it as necessary.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks to me like we don't have enough evidence to make a determination on what exactly they are. However, it does seem that they are made of quarks and are therefore not fundamental.

1. What are X(3872) and Z(4430)?

X(3872) and Z(4430) are two subatomic particles that were first observed in experiments at the Tevatron particle accelerator in 2003 and 2008, respectively. They are both "charmonium" particles, meaning they consist of a charm quark and its antiquark bound together by the strong nuclear force.

2. How were X(3872) and Z(4430) discovered?

X(3872) was first observed by the Belle Collaboration, a group of physicists working at the KEKB accelerator in Japan. Z(4430) was first observed by the Belle and BaBar Collaborations, two groups of physicists working at the KEKB and SLAC accelerators, respectively. Both particles were discovered by analyzing data from high-energy proton-antiproton collisions.

3. What are the properties of X(3872) and Z(4430)?

X(3872) has a mass of approximately 3872 MeV/c² and a spin of 1. Z(4430) has a mass of approximately 4430 MeV/c² and a spin of 1. Both particles have a positive charge and are electrically neutral.

4. What is the significance of X(3872) and Z(4430)?

The discovery of X(3872) and Z(4430) has provided important insights into the nature of quarks and the strong nuclear force. These particles are not predicted by the standard model of particle physics and their properties are still not well understood. Studying these particles can help us better understand the fundamental building blocks of our universe.

5. Have X(3872) and Z(4430) been observed in other experiments?

Yes, both particles have been observed in several other experiments, including the LHCb experiment at CERN and the BESIII experiment in China. These observations have helped to confirm the existence of these particles and have provided additional data for further study.