Particular configuration of a system and grand partition fn.

In summary: No, not exactly. {(n_i,E_i)_i} denotes a particular microstate, while the macrostate is given by temperature T and chemical potential mu. So (29.4) divided by (29.5) gives you the probability that a particular microstate is realized given the macrostate.
Pushoam
upload_2017-10-26_14-46-54.png

I don't understand how could be a particular configuration described by eqn. (29.4).
Why is it said a particular configuration?

upload_2017-10-26_14-51-59.png
I know that this is the grand Boltzmann factor for one particle in energy state ##E_1##. But how does it describe configuration of the system?

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-26_14-46-54.png
    upload_2017-10-26_14-46-54.png
    44 KB · Views: 820
  • upload_2017-10-26_14-51-59.png
    upload_2017-10-26_14-51-59.png
    1 KB · Views: 766
Physics news on Phys.org
Pushoam said:
Why is it said a particular configuration?

I guess it is particular, because in (29.24) the numbers ##n_i## are fixed to specific values and because several combinations of occupation numbers are possible, the case of fixed occupation numbers denotes only one specific configuration. Then in (29.25) you sum over all particular configurations by taking into account all possible combinations of occupation numbers.

Pushoam said:
But how does it describe configuration of the system?

Well, (29.24) encodes the information on how many particles occupy each energy state and this is exactly what is known as the configuration.

Metmann said:
Well, (29.24) encodes the information on how many particles occupy each energy state and this is exactly what is known as the configuration.
What I got is : the eq (29.4) divided by eq. (29.5) gives the probability that the system will be in such a macrostate ( thus the particular configuration) such that ##n_1## particles will be in the ##E_1## state and so on. Here the macrostate is described by {(##n_1, E_1) ,(n_2,E_2), ...##}.

Right?

Thank you.

Pushoam said:
What I got is : the eq (29.4) divided by eq. (29.5) gives the probability that the system will be in such a macrostate ( thus the particular configuration) such that n1n_1 particles will be in the E1E_1 state and so on. Here the macrostate is described by {(n1,E1),(n2,E2),...n_1, E_1) ,(n_2,E_2), ...}

No, not exactly. ##\{(n_i,E_i )\}_i## denotes a particular microstate, while the macrostate is given by temperature ##T \sim \frac{1}{\beta}## and chemical potential ##\mu##. So (29.4) devided by (29.5) gives you the probability that a particular microstate is realized given the macrostate.

1. What is a particular configuration of a system?

A particular configuration of a system refers to the specific arrangement or state of its components. In other words, it is the way in which the different elements of a system are arranged and interact with each other at a given moment.

2. How is a particular configuration of a system determined?

A particular configuration of a system is determined by various factors such as the properties of its components, the interactions between them, and external influences. It can be calculated through statistical mechanics or observed through experiments.

3. What is the grand partition function?

The grand partition function is a mathematical function used in statistical mechanics to describe the probability of a particular configuration of a system. It takes into account both the energy and number of particles in the system, making it useful for studying systems with varying particle numbers.

4. How does the grand partition function relate to thermodynamic properties?

The grand partition function is related to thermodynamic properties through the partition function, which is a simpler version that does not consider the number of particles. From the grand partition function, thermodynamic quantities such as the entropy, energy, and chemical potential can be derived.

5. What is the significance of studying particular configurations of a system and the grand partition function?

Studying particular configurations of a system and the grand partition function allows for a better understanding of the behavior and properties of complex systems. It is particularly useful in studying systems with variable particle numbers, such as gases, and can provide insights into phase transitions and critical phenomena.