Partition for the equivalence relation of a parabola

In summary, the book discusses a function from R to R and partitioning the equivalence classes. There is one equivalence class with an infinite amount of elements and the partition is shown using the |-> arrow on the R2 plane.

Homework Statement

Let f: R -> R, x -> x^2

What does the partition for the equivalence relation of this function look like?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Uh...I have no idea. Sorry, the book only has examples of like integers from modulo n, if anybody could just point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
hi 0131413! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
0131413 said:
Let f: R -> R, x -> x^2

What does the partition for the equivalence relation of this function look like?

how many elements are there in each equivalence class? :wink:

tiny-tim said:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)how many elements are there in each equivalence class? :wink:

In this case is there one equivalence class (depending on how the parabola is shifted) with an infinite amount of elements? From the way Wiki shows rational numbers, I played around with the parabola coordinates and is the relation something like y0-x02=y1-x12=y2-x22=...=yn-xn2?

...If the above statement is really, really wrong...I'm not sure why this confuses me so much either.

2 :blushing:

unless I'm misunderstanding the question, the equivalence relation is x ~ y iff f(x) = f(y),

and so the equivalence class containing x would be all y such that f(x) = f(y)

0131413 said:
About the problem I posted, this is what it looks like: http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/6109/33666219.png

I'm starting to think that I am misunderstanding the problem. The |-> arrow, I thought I was looking at the entire R2 plane and from there I needed to find a way to represent f(x) = x2?

And then I thought the equivalence relation would be using y0-x02=yn-xn2 and this would be reflexive/symmetric/transitive for every coordinate pair?

Please tell me where I went wrong. I have the Rosen 6th edition book btw...but we skip around and I don't know if there is just something additional I need to read. I am confused right now.

what does the R2 plane have to do with it? :confused:

the question is about a function from R to R …

R2 doesn't come into it …

the equivalence relation has to be on R (see my previous answer)

(and "|->" just means "goes to")

Last edited by a moderator:
tiny-tim said:
what does the R2 plane have to do with it? :confused:

the question is about a function from R to R …

R2 doesn't come into it …

the equivalence relation has to be on R (see my previous answer)

(and "|->" just means "goes to")

Is the relation abs(x) = abs(y)?

...Are the equivalence classes to look like [x] = {-x, x}? :uhh:

0131413 said:
...Are the equivalence classes to look like [x] = {-x, x}? :uhh:

yes! :smile:

(except, of course, for {0} :wink:)

tiny-tim said:
yes! :smile:

(except, of course, for {0} :wink:)

Tyvm. After reading the chapter I was so confused at first, but with your words I had a lightbulb-goes-on-moment and now everything makes sense. Wish I could give you a hug. :!)

1. What is a partition for the equivalence relation of a parabola?

A partition for the equivalence relation of a parabola is a way of dividing the set of points on a parabola into distinct subsets, where each subset represents a different equivalence class. This allows us to group together points that are considered equivalent based on a certain criteria, such as having the same distance from the focus of the parabola.

2. How is a partition for the equivalence relation of a parabola different from a partition for other functions?

A partition for the equivalence relation of a parabola is unique because it takes into account the specific properties of a parabola, such as its focus and directrix. This results in a partition that is different from those of other functions, as it is based on a different set of criteria.

3. Can you provide an example of a partition for the equivalence relation of a parabola?

Sure, imagine a parabola with a focus at (0,0) and a directrix at y=4. The points on this parabola can be divided into two equivalence classes: those that are equidistant from the focus and the directrix (forming the parabola itself), and those that are not equidistant (forming the interior of the parabola). This is an example of a partition for the equivalence relation of a parabola.

4. How is a partition for the equivalence relation of a parabola used in mathematics?

A partition for the equivalence relation of a parabola is a useful concept in mathematics, particularly in fields such as algebra and geometry. It allows us to better understand the properties and behavior of a parabola and make connections with other mathematical concepts, such as conic sections and quadratic equations.

5. Are there any real-life applications of a partition for the equivalence relation of a parabola?

Yes, partitions for the equivalence relation of a parabola are used in a variety of real-life applications, particularly in fields such as physics and engineering. For example, the shape of a parabolic mirror is based on the partition of points that are equidistant from the focus and the directrix, allowing it to focus light or sound waves to a single point.