Partitions of Euclidean space, cubic lattice, convex sets

In summary, the question is whether, if the Euclidean plane is divided into convex sets of area A, each containing one vertex of a unit square lattice, and this vertex does not necessarily have to be in the interior, is A always at least 1/2? The answer is no, as A can be anywhere in the range of [1/2, ∞). The question arises from a study of Minkowski's theorem on convex regions symmetric about a lattice point. There is a construction for a suitable partition with A=1/2, but it is not known if this range can be extended.
Martin Rattigan
If the Euclidean plane is partitioned into convex sets each of area A in such a way that each contains exactly one vertex of a unit square lattice and this vertex is in its interior, is it true that A must be at least 1/2?
If not what is the greatest lower bound for A?
The analogous greatest lower bounds for En obviously form a non increasing sequence (ordered by n). What is the value for En?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would have thought that A must be at least 1, since there's a natural bijection between lattice vertices and the unit squares delimited by the lattice.
Proving it may be somewhat tricky though.
What's the context of the question?
It's not homework is it?

No it's not homework (bit old for that).

I was doing some number theory revision a couple of years ago and the question occurred to me after reading Minkowski's theorem on convex regions symmetric about a lattice point (Hardy and Wright 3.9/3.10), having noticed that Theorem 38, used in the proof, referred to congruent and similarly situated regions about the lattice points, but needed congruence only to show uniform boundedness of the regions (he only considers bounded regions) and similar situation apparently not at all (though the proof of Minkowski's theorem which follows on does deal with convex regions which are congruent and similarly situated).

In fact I first considered the question with the partition members being pathwise connected sets with a defined area, not necessarily convex. In this case [itex]A[/itex] can be any value in [itex](0,\infty][/itex], I believe, but I couldn't find convex examples.

I went on to look for examples with convex partition members. I should have spent more time remembering what I did before typing the question, because for this case I dropped the requirement that a lattice vertex is in the interior of its corresponding partition member (because I suspected this requirement might force [itex]A=1[/itex]) but the requirement has still found its way into what I wrote. Unfortunately I can't edit my original post any more, so I'll write it bold here:

Please ignore the phrase "... and this vertex is in its interior" in the original question.

With that proviso I think [itex]A[/itex] can be anywhere in [itex][\frac{1}{2},\infty)[/itex]. The question is can this range be extended?

I didn't follow the reasoning in your reply. If the diameters of the partition members have a common finite upper bound, then I think [itex]A=1[/itex] (with essentially the same proof as Theorems 38/41 in Hardy and Wright), but this is not a premiss of the question. Neither is it stated that the partition members are congruent. I think I have a construction for a suitable partition with [itex]A=\frac{1}{2}[/itex].

Last edited:

1. What is a partition of Euclidean space?

A partition of Euclidean space is a division of the space into non-overlapping regions, where each point in the space belongs to exactly one region. These regions are known as cells or elements of the partition.

2. What is a cubic lattice?

A cubic lattice is a regular arrangement of points in three-dimensional space, where each point has six nearest neighbors. It can be visualized as a three-dimensional grid with equally spaced points in all directions.

3. How are partitions of Euclidean space related to cubic lattices?

A cubic lattice can be seen as a partition of Euclidean space, where each cell represents a unit cube. Similarly, a partition of Euclidean space can be constructed by dividing space into cubes of equal size, resulting in a cubic lattice.

4. What are convex sets?

A convex set is a set of points in a Euclidean space where, for any two points in the set, the line segment connecting them lies entirely within the set. In other words, a convex set is a set that does not contain any "dents" or "holes".

5. How are convex sets related to partitions of Euclidean space?

Convex sets can be used to construct partitions of Euclidean space, where each convex set represents a cell in the partition. This is because convex sets satisfy the properties of a partition, as they are non-overlapping and cover the entire space.