Parts of a Photon: Exploring Time Dilation & Acceleration

In summary: I have not studied the classical or quantum theory of the electromagnetic field, but I am familiar with Dirac's theory of the electron and the EM field.
fireball3004
I've been looking at the parts of a photon as it moves at the speed of light and how this affects the photon it's self. I have encountered a few things such as the need for the photon to start spinning as it moves through gravitational fields ECT. But I have recently found 2 things that are very odd that I wanted to ask about.
First off the bat is the fact that at two different points in a photon, one behind the other relative to the velocity of the photon, the point behind the other will observe the one in front of it moving at the speed of light due to the time dilation. But then does this imply that the time dilation is slightly less then the absolute of experiencing no time and therefore that light does not travel at the "maximum speed in the universe".
I was also wondering whether if you were a photon whether or not you would ever be able to view yourself reach light speed because of the time dilation and whether or not this means that there is room for acceleration?

Physics news on Phys.org
fireball3004 said:
I've been looking at the parts of a photon

What parts of a photon? Can you give us a reference to a standard textbook or peer-reviewed physics journal article that talks about "parts of a photon"?

No I cannot give you reference to a text that refers to it because I was trying to come up with a unique point of view of the speed of light in the hopes that it might resolve or give insight to the quantum world from relativities perspective. I can only say that I have read a lot about photons simply not on this subject.
However in reference to what I was talking about I define parts of a photon as different points contained in a photon. And talking about the perspective from these points if that makes any sense.

And talking about the perspective from these points if that makes any sense.

It doesn't make sense in terms of any theory I've heard of.

Have you studied the classical or quantum theory of the electromagnetic field ? Dirac's theory of the electron and the EM field is fully relativistic.

There are several threads in this forum about photons, have a browse through them.

Please read our site policies regarding personal theories.

Related to Parts of a Photon: Exploring Time Dilation & Acceleration

1. What is a photon and what are its parts?

A photon is a subatomic particle that is the basic unit of light and other forms of electromagnetic radiation. It has no mass and travels at the speed of light. The three main parts of a photon are its energy, momentum, and frequency.

2. How does time dilation affect photons?

Time dilation is the phenomenon where time passes slower for objects moving at high speeds. Photons, which travel at the speed of light, do not experience time dilation because they have no mass. This means that from the perspective of a photon, time does not pass at all.

3. How does acceleration affect photons?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. Since photons have no mass, they cannot be accelerated in the traditional sense. However, they can change direction or be affected by gravity, which can alter their path and velocity.

4. Can photons travel faster than the speed of light?

No, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which anything in the universe can travel. Photons, being particles of light, cannot exceed this speed.

5. How do we measure the parts of a photon?

The energy of a photon can be measured using a spectrometer, which separates the different frequencies of light. The momentum of a photon can be measured by observing its change in direction or speed. The frequency of a photon can be measured using a device called a frequency meter.