Paschen notation for electronic states of Argon atom

In summary, the conversation is about the excited states of an Argon atom and the different notations used to describe them. The first notation discussed is the j,l coupling notation, which is written as (2s+1)[K]J. However, the conversation then moves on to the Paschen notation, which is used in some papers to describe cross section data for the Argon atom. This notation follows the form nl#, with n and l representing the principal and orbital quantum numbers, and the subscript number # being a label for each state. The conversation then delves into confusion about the labeling order in the Paschen notation, with the speaker asking for a detailed description or material to better understand it. However, they later realize that
goodphy
Hello.

I think excited states of Argon atom is described by j,l coupling written as (2s+1)[K]J.

However, when I read some papers describing cross section data for Argon atom, data are quoted with strange notation, Paschen notation. I tried to study the Paschen notation and found that its form is like nl# (ex: 2p10). n and l here are principal and orbital quantum number for an excited electron. Okay, that's easy. However, I really can't exactly figure out what subscript number # means! I just guess that this number is just a label of each state associated with particular n and l. However...which state is labeled 10? which state is 9? which state is 8??

Could you tell me what labeling order is used in the Paschen notation? I would be very happy if you give me a detailed description of the notation or any good material well describing the notation.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a thing that I was wrong in my question. In the Paschen notation nl#, n is even not same to the principle quantum number of the excited electron! So, I have to ask additional question of what n really is. The Paschen notation really makes me crazy.

Hello.

I think I finally get an answer to the question.

I'm uploading my summary of Racah and Paschen notations here everyone having the same question will benefit from it.

Attachments

• Racah _Paschen_notation.pdf
    74.7 KB · Views: 1,189

1. What is Paschen notation for electronic states of Argon atom?

Paschen notation is a way of representing the electronic configuration of an atom or molecule. It is commonly used for atoms with many electrons, such as Argon. The notation consists of a series of numbers and letters that represent the number of electrons in each energy level and the subshells within that level.

2. How is Paschen notation different from other types of electronic configurations?

Paschen notation is different from other notations, such as the Aufbau principle or the orbital filling diagram, because it specifically shows the number of electrons in each subshell, rather than just the total number of electrons in each energy level.

3. Why is Paschen notation important in the study of Argon atoms?

Paschen notation is important because it allows scientists to quickly and easily understand the electronic configuration of Argon atoms. This is useful for predicting the chemical and physical properties of Argon, as well as for understanding its behavior in different environments.

4. How is Paschen notation determined for Argon atoms?

The Paschen notation for Argon atoms is determined by filling each subshell in order of increasing energy. The notation starts with the lowest energy level, followed by the subshells within that level, and so on until all electrons are accounted for.

5. Are there any limitations to using Paschen notation for electronic states of Argon atom?

While Paschen notation is a useful tool, it does have some limitations. It does not account for the spin of electrons, which can affect the overall electronic configuration. Additionally, it does not take into account the effects of electron-electron repulsion, which can also impact the arrangement of electrons in an atom.