Passive Filters: Deriving Cutoff Formula

• Thread starter i.sac
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Filters
In summary, the cutoff frequency ωc = 1/RC for passive filters is derived by finding the frequency at which the output power is halved, or in decibels, -3dB. This can be calculated using the transfer function for an RC filter, which can be simplified to find the vector sum of the denominator. Equating this with the desired output of 1/√2 and solving for ω confirms that it equals 1/RC. While this can be seen as a derivation, it may also just be a result of voltage division.
i.sac
Hi,

Can someone explain me how the cutoff formula for passive filters is derived.
Why is it 1/2*pi*R*C?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
I may not have the exact answer, but I think I can get the conversation started. I'm referring to ideal filters like the ones on paper in college.

Lets talk in terms of ω=1/(RC)...same thing, just in radians.

If you take a simple RC passive filter and take the voltage across the capacitor...your transfer function will be
1/(1+JωRC)

This means that the output varies with omega (ω). Let's think in terms of bode plots as well.

When omega equals 1/(RC), you are simply left with 1/(1+J)
(1+J) equals 1.41 at an angle of 45 degrees. Take the inverse and you get .7 at angle -45.

20 * log .7 equals -3db which is why it drops 3 db at the break frequency.

Back to this 1/(1+JωRC) Don't forget that "J" in this equation simply equals 1<90 degrees.
When looking at bode plots, always look at your frequency at zero and infinity to get the basic shape of your bode.

So when omega equals zero...you get 1/1 or simply one. Voltage in equals voltage out...gain of 1 or zero dB.

When omega equals infinity, you get a gain of nearly zero...so this sure looks like a low pass filter that breaks at the break frequency.

1/(1+JωRC) is simply a mathematical equation that dictates gain at any frequency. If you plug in any omega...the exact gain and phase angle will be given thru the math from 0 to infinity.

The high pass filter is nearly the same concept, just the other way.
Do voltage division on a RC circuit across the resistor and you get JωRC/(1+JωRC)
Again, when omega equals RC, you get J/(1+J) which again equals .7 but at 45 degrees this time instead of minus 45 degrees (that's the phase angle btw).
So once again you get a minus 3 dB at the break.
Test your limits as zero for this JωRC/(1+JωRC) and you get zero gain.
Test limit at infinity and you get 1. Properties of a high pass filter.

Although the RC constant relates to a great number of things, I'm not sure this is actually derived, just simple voltage division that gives an output at a certain frequency. Or maybe I did actually derive it.

Active filters like the ones in op amps work almost exactly the same way...except the unattenuated gain will be set by your RF/RA or (1+RF/RA).

Last edited:
i.sac said:
Can someone explain me how the cutoff formula for passive filters is derived. Why is it 1/2*pi*R*C?
The cutoff frequency ωc = 1/RC is the frequency where the output power is halved, i.e

Pout/Pin = 0.5

Or in decibel,

10 log (Pout/Pin) = -3dB.

Replace power with P = V2/R to get

20 log (Vout/Vin) = -3dB → Vout/Vin = 1/√2

From inspection, you know that the RC filter's transfer function is

Vout/Vin = Z2/(Z1+Z2)

where Z1 = R and Z2 = 1/jωC are (in general) complex impedances. The -3dB we started with is related to the magnitude, or length, of the transfer function (the phase is irrelevant) which in this case reduces to finding the vector sum of the RHS denominator:

|Vout/Vin| = |1/(1 + jwRC)| = 1/√(1 + (ωRC)2)

Equate the above RHS with 1/√2 and solve for ω to confirm that it in fact equals 1/RC.

psparky said:
Although the RC constant relates to a great number of things, I'm not sure this is actually derived, just simple voltage division that gives an output at a certain frequency. Or maybe I did actually derive it.
I agree—I think it would be a stretch to call any of this a derivation. My 'argument' is completely circular at least, but I'm too hungry to figure out if there's a way around that. Maybe one could take the route via the time constant τ = 1/ω and make a connection to the exponential nature of the (dis-)charging of the capacitor. Or something. I don't know.

gnurf said:
The cutoff frequency ωc = 1/RC is the frequency where the output power is halved, i.e

Pout/Pin = 0.5

Or in decibel,

10 log (Pout/Pin) = -3dB.

Replace power with P = V2/R to get

20 log (Vout/Vin) = -3dB → Vout/Vin = 1/√2

From inspection, you know that the RC filter's transfer function is

Vout/Vin = Z2/(Z1+Z2)

where Z1 = R and Z2 = 1/jωC are (in general) complex impedances. The -3dB we started with is related to the magnitude, or length, of the transfer function (the phase is irrelevant) which in this case reduces to finding the vector sum of the RHS denominator:

|Vout/Vin| = |1/(1 + jwRC)| = 1/√(1 + (ωRC)2)

Equate the above RHS with 1/√2 and solve for ω to confirm that it in fact equals 1/RC.

I agree—I think it would be a stretch to call any of this a derivation. My 'argument' is completely circular at least, but I'm too hungry to figure out if there's a way around that. Maybe one could take the route via the time constant τ = 1/ω and make a connection to the exponential nature of the (dis-)charging of the capacitor. Or something. I don't know.

Wow, that's pretty cool stuff...you actually agree with what I said but in another way. Always nice to see the "10 log gain" (power) and "20 log gain" (voltage) as well.

for your question. The cutoff formula for passive filters, also known as the -3dB frequency, is derived from the transfer function of the filter. The transfer function is a mathematical representation of how the filter affects different frequencies in a signal. In the case of passive filters, the transfer function is a function of resistance (R) and capacitance (C).

To derive the cutoff frequency, we set the transfer function equal to 1/sqrt(2) (which corresponds to a -3dB attenuation in the signal) and solve for the frequency. This results in a frequency of 1/2*pi*R*C.

This formula is derived from the properties of capacitors and resistors in the filter circuit. At the cutoff frequency, the reactance of the capacitor (1/2*pi*f*C) will be equal to the resistance, resulting in a -3dB attenuation in the signal.

I hope this explanation helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is a passive filter?

A passive filter is an electronic circuit that uses passive components such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors to filter out unwanted frequencies in a signal. It does not require an external power source to function.

2. How does a passive filter work?

A passive filter works by using the inherent properties of its components to attenuate certain frequencies in a signal. For example, a low-pass filter will allow low frequencies to pass through while blocking high frequencies.

3. What is the cutoff frequency of a passive filter?

The cutoff frequency of a passive filter is the frequency at which the filter begins to attenuate the signal. It is also known as the corner frequency or -3dB frequency.

4. How is the cutoff frequency of a passive filter derived?

The cutoff frequency of a passive filter can be derived by using the following formula: fc = 1/(2πRC) for a low-pass filter, where fc is the cutoff frequency, R is the resistance value, and C is the capacitance value. For other types of filters, different formulas may be used.

5. What are some common applications of passive filters?

Passive filters are commonly used in audio systems, power supplies, and communication systems to remove unwanted noise or interference from the signal. They can also be used in electronic circuits to shape the frequency response of a signal.