Path Different Between Two Waves

• Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Path Waves
In summary, when two waves of the same frequency intersect at a point in space, their path lengths must be an integer multiple of their wavelength for constructive interference to occur. This can be visualized by imagining two sources emitting pulses of waves and a detector moving around to observe the amplitude of the waves at different distances. When the path difference is zero, maximum constructive interference occurs, while a path difference of one wavelength results in destructive interference.
Bashyboy
Hello,

I am having a little difficulty articulating my question, so please bear with me. I understand that when waves occupy the same space at the same time, they interfere. What I am having difficulty visualizing is when two different waves travel different paths and intersect at some point; in particular, when they reflect of surfaces at certain angles, etc. To give some context, I am reading about compton scattering and x-rays at the moment, and they are assert if the difference in path lengths of two lights of the same frequency are some integer multiple of their wavelength, then if they intersect at some point in time in space, they will interfere constructively.

If anyone knows of a simple way of explaining this, and perhaps has some visual aid that I could not find on the internet, I would be very grateful

Physics news on Phys.org
What I am having difficulty visualizing is when two different waves travel different paths and intersect at some point;
Sounds like you need to play with small ripples in the bathtub sometime.
It is simple enough to make small waves that travel in different directions - because they overlap at an angle, the constructive and destructive interference pattern can get quite complicated.

If the path-difference from the sources to where you are looking is zero - can you see that you get maximum amplitude there? (The wave still bobs up and down.)

If you think of the wave as a series of pulses, and I send out pulse1 then pulse2 then pulse3 etc ... then the wavelength is the distance between peaks.
I have two sources, A and B, and I'll label the pulses from source A as A1, A2 etc and the pulses from source B are B1, B2 etc.

I also have a detector D which I can move around, it just tells me the amplitude of the pulses it sees.
The path length from A to D is |AD|, and from B to D is |BD|I start the sources at the same time so A1 and B1 leave at t=0, and they both travel at the same speed ... followed by A2 and B2 etc.

If D is situated exactly the same distance from A and B, (the path difference |BD|-|AD|=0) the A1 and B1 will arrive at the same time, so will A2 and B2 etc. You can see this will give constructive interference and maximum overall amplitude?

If I move D around, though, the pulses do not generally arrive at the same time.

If I move D just a bit so the distance to B is a bit more than the distance to A, then B1 arrives a bit later than A1. This is still constructive interference, but it is not maximum.

Keep making the distance to B a bit longer while keeping the distance to A the same and at some point B1 will arrive exactly half-way between A1 and A2... this is the minimum amplitude. A wave would have a trough there for destructive interference.

Keep making the distance to B a bit longer while keeping the distance to A the same and at some point B1 will arrive exactly when A2 does, and B2 will arrive when A3 does and so on - for constructive interference.
The path difference |BD|-|BA|= one wavelength.

1. What is the "Path Different Between Two Waves"?

The "Path Different Between Two Waves" refers to the difference in the path traveled by two waves with the same frequency and wavelength but different starting points. It is also known as the phase difference between two waves.

2. How is the path difference between two waves calculated?

The path difference between two waves can be calculated by finding the difference in the distances traveled by the two waves from their starting points to a specific point in space. This can be done by measuring the wavelength of the waves and the distance between the starting points and the point in space.

3. What does the path difference between two waves determine?

The path difference between two waves determines the interference pattern created by the combination of the two waves. A path difference that is a multiple of the wavelength will result in constructive interference, while a path difference that is half a wavelength will result in destructive interference.

4. Can the path difference between two waves be negative?

Yes, the path difference between two waves can be negative. This occurs when one wave travels a shorter distance than the other, resulting in a negative difference in their paths. This can happen when one wave is reflected or refracted.

5. How does the path difference between two waves affect the intensity of the resulting wave?

The path difference between two waves can affect the intensity of the resulting wave through interference. When the path difference is a multiple of the wavelength, the waves will combine to create a wave with a higher intensity, while a path difference of half a wavelength will result in a wave with lower intensity due to destructive interference.