Path to follow to learn maths and physics this year before school (sept 2015)

In summary, the person is a software developer planning to get a degree in physics in Europe. They are currently spending their free time re-learning math and physics and seeking advice on how to best prepare for their studies. They have resources such as textbooks and are considering focusing on math first before tackling physics, but are open to suggestions. Another person in a similar situation suggests using MIT open courseware for both math and physics. The person is also considering starting to learn some basic physics before completing their math program.
andreyw
Hey guys,

I am a software developer who plans to go back to school in September 2015 to get a degree in physics.
I live in Europe so I will have to get a bachelor's degree (3 years) then a master's degree (2 years).

I am 26 years old and at the moment, I spend all of my free time re-learning maths and physics.
I would like to know if you could help me with a path to follow to (re)learn maths and physics.

For example, I am almost done with Khan Academy (working with Integral Calclus at the moment).
After that, there is no exercise to master so I plan to switch to physics until I lack the mathematical knowledge to continue.

What should I do know ?

I have the following resources that I bought or that were given to me by some friends :

Calculus (Spivak)
Discrete Mathematics with Applications (Epp, Susanna)
Fundamental of Physics (Halliday, David)
A mathematical introduction to logic (Enderton, Herbert B)
Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences (Boas Mary)

I still have almost a year to study things to be prepared for the bachelor (undergraduate I think) so I am confident. I work between 20 to 40 hours a week.

What is your opinion ? Should I just learn maths and physics now or should I just focus as much as possible on mathematics and make sure that I master all the maths I will need for my studies ?
If I have no problems with the maths, I'll have more time to solve problems in physics but I think it is wise to already solve a few problems now too.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

For the moment, I only learned mathematics with Khan Academy and I know it is a great support in addition of a textbook. I didn't open a textbook so far so I think it is best if I focus on mathematics and make sure I master a big part of what I will need for my studies in physics.

When I am done with Integral Calculus (Khan), I'll relearn everything with Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences (Boas Mary) until I reach the "maths level I have on Khan Academy" then switch to Spivak's Calculus.

If I am done with those books before September 2015, I'll start with Fundamental of Physics (Halliday, David). I think it is really important to have a solid foundation in mathematics before I start learning physics.

If you have any suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them.

Thanks. :)

I'm kind of in the same boat except my undergrad is in physics but I graduated a long time ago. I'm using MIT open courseware. It's free and goes to graduate level in both math and physics.

Good luck.

andreyw said:
What is your opinion ? Should I just learn maths and physics now or should I just focus as much as possible on mathematics and make sure that I master all the maths I will need for my studies ?

If I have no problems with the maths, I'll have more time to solve problems in physics but I think it is wise to already solve a few problems now too.

Thanks.

I don't see why you can't start learning some basic physics before completing your math program. After all, much of the basics of physics doesn't take a lot of exotic math to master, and if you know the basics of integral and differential calculus, you should be able to study linear and angular motion, for example. Besides, working physics problems will give you more opportunities to practice your math skills.

1. What are the basic concepts I need to understand in maths and physics before starting school?

The basic concepts in maths and physics that are essential for understanding more advanced topics include algebra, geometry, trigonometry, calculus, Newtonian mechanics, and electricity and magnetism. Make sure you have a solid understanding of these topics before starting school.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in maths and physics?

The best way to improve your problem-solving skills in maths and physics is to practice regularly. Start with simpler problems and gradually move on to more complex ones. Also, try to understand the underlying concepts behind each problem rather than just memorizing formulas.

3. Are there any online resources or books that can help me learn maths and physics?

Yes, there are many online resources and books available that can help you learn maths and physics. Some popular websites include Khan Academy, Coursera, and edX. You can also check out textbooks or study guides recommended by your school or teacher.

4. How can I balance my time between learning maths and physics and other school subjects?

Time management is crucial when it comes to learning maths and physics before school starts. Try to create a study schedule that allows you to dedicate enough time to these subjects while also leaving time for other school subjects and extracurricular activities. Prioritize your studying based on your strengths and weaknesses in each subject.

5. What are some practical applications of maths and physics that I can explore before school starts?

There are countless practical applications of maths and physics that you can explore. Some ideas include building simple machines, conducting experiments with electricity and magnetism, and solving real-life problems using mathematical equations. You can also attend science fairs, join a math or physics club, or participate in online challenges to further enhance your understanding of these subjects.