How to Derive Pauli's Equation from Dirac's Equation in a Weak Field?

• Thread starter maverick280857
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dirac Pauli
In summary, the conversation is about deriving Pauli's equation from Dirac's equation in the weak field regime. The equations are coupled, but by substituting specific values and neglecting certain terms, the equations can be decoupled and simplified. Landau and Lifgarbagez's textbook is recommended for further reference.
maverick280857
Hi,

I'm trying to get to Pauli's equation from Dirac's equation in the weak field regime. Specifically, if I substitute

[tex]\psi = \left(\begin{array}{cc}\chi \\ \varphi \end{array}\right)[/tex]

into the Dirac equation, I get two coupled equations

[tex]i\frac{\partial\chi}{\partial t} = (\sigma\cdot\pi)\varphi + (m + eA^{0})\chi[/tex]
[tex]i\frac{\partial\varphi}{\partial t} = (\sigma\cdot\pi)\chi + (m + eA^{0})\varphi[/tex]

where [itex]\pi = \boldsymbol{p} - e\boldsymbol{A}[/itex].

Substituting [itex]\chi = e^{-imt}X[/itex] and [itex]\varphi = e^{-imt}\Phi[/itex], we get

[tex]i\frac{\partial X}{\partial t} = (\sigma\cdot\pi)\Phi + eA^{0}X[/tex] ------- (*)
[tex]i\frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial t} = (\sigma\cdot\pi)X - (2m - eA^{0})\Phi[/tex]

In the weak field regime, [itex]2m >> eA^{0}[/itex], so the second of the last two equations becomes

[tex]i\frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial t} = (\sigma\cdot\pi)X - 2m\Phi[/tex] -------- (**)

Now, differentiating (**) wrt time to decouple (*) and (**) introduces a second derivative term in the 'almost Pauli' equation :tongue2:

[tex]i\frac{\partial^{2}\Phi}{\partial t^2} = (\sigma\cdot\pi)^2\Phi - 2im\frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial t}[/tex]

How does one get Pauli's equation from this?

Do I also have to make an explicit nonrelativistic approximation:

[tex]E = \sqrt{p^2 + m^2} \approx m[/tex]

so that [itex]exp(-imt) = exp(-iEt)[/itex]

?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Vivek.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

In the equation (**) you should also neglect the first derivative term:

[tex]
0 = (\sigma\cdot\pi)X - 2m\Phi
[/tex] ------- (**')

See also:
L. D. Landau and E. M. Lifgarbagez, Course of Theoretical Physics,
Vol. 4 Quantum Electrodynamics, section 33

Maxim Zh said:
In the equation (**) you should also neglect the first derivative term:

[tex]
0 = (\sigma\cdot\pi)X - 2m\Phi
[/tex] ------- (**')

See also:
L. D. Landau and E. M. Lifgarbagez, Course of Theoretical Physics,
Vol. 4 Quantum Electrodynamics, section 33

Thanks!

1. What is the difference between the Pauli equation and the Dirac equation?

The Pauli equation and the Dirac equation are both fundamental equations in quantum mechanics. The main difference between them is that the Dirac equation takes into account relativistic effects, while the Pauli equation does not. This means that the Dirac equation is more accurate for describing high energy particles, while the Pauli equation is better suited for describing low energy particles.

2. What is the significance of the Pauli equation in quantum mechanics?

The Pauli equation is significant because it describes the behavior of spin-1/2 particles, such as electrons, in a quantum mechanical system. It also takes into account the spin and magnetic moment of these particles, which are important properties in understanding their behavior in a magnetic field.

3. How is the Pauli equation derived from the Dirac equation?

The Pauli equation can be derived from the Dirac equation by taking the non-relativistic limit. This involves neglecting terms that are proportional to the speed of light, which is much larger than the speeds of particles in most quantum mechanical systems. This simplification leads to the Pauli equation, which is more manageable for solving problems involving spin-1/2 particles.

4. Can the Pauli equation be used for particles other than spin-1/2 particles?

No, the Pauli equation is specifically designed for spin-1/2 particles. It includes terms that describe their spin and magnetic moment, which are properties unique to these particles. For particles with different spins, such as spin-1 or spin-3/2, different equations, such as the Klein-Gordon equation or the Rarita-Schwinger equation, must be used.

5. How does the Pauli equation account for the exclusion principle?

The Pauli equation includes a term called the spin-orbit coupling term, which takes into account the interaction between the spin and the orbital motion of the particle. This term is responsible for the exclusion principle, which states that no two particles with the same spin can occupy the same quantum state. This principle is a fundamental concept in understanding the behavior of fermions, such as electrons, in quantum systems.