PCB Design: Adding Batteries (CR2032) to Schematic

In summary: V ? (I know they are similar in AC or DC, but I can't remember where? or maybe I am completely wrong)So, given that I am limited in size, would you suggest I move to 3x CR1220 or CR1225 ? (3 volts each) and get a 9V total voltage?Also, is ground the same as 0V ? (I know they are similar in AC or DC, but I can't remember where? or maybe I am completely wrong)In summary, to power a 3.3V RF transmitter with 2 CR2032 batteries, you would need 3 CR1220 batteries in series.
_Bd_
Hi, I am working on a PCB design and the mock-up prototype is now done, thanks for all your help by the way!
now its time to get it mobile. I am trying to add a battery (CR2032) to the design of the PCB,

the thing is that I have my voltage regulator set up as so:
http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/2811/ao8x.png

but I don't know how to hook up the batteries,

the voltage regulator is supposed to take a voltage in of 7.2V (from 2 CR2032 rechargeable batteries at 3.6V each)

and one stream is supposed to feed a RF transmitter at 3.3V (the bottom regulator)
the top one is a 7805 that outputs 5V to drive the other circuit.I was confused as the battery symbol (that comes in adafruit library) has 3 leads, from what I remember soldering, 2 of them are positive? and 1 is negative, but should I link the negative to the ground? or how should I wire it up
thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Your schematic symbol looks like it has two pins on the cathode. It's hard for me to tell from the image but I think the symbol has two bold vertical lines, one long one for the positive side and one shorter one for the negative side.

yeah the 2 pins are positive, and the single (middle) pin is the negative, my question is, should the negative go to ground? or where should I connect it to?

what is the bottom regulator ?
looks like a negative regulator ?
what's it outout voltage supposed to be ?

Dave

The top regulator is a 7805, it receives up to 13V input and outputs 5V

the bottom regulator is a UA78M00, receives up to 13V input and outputs 3.3V, or that's what I want it to do.

Thing is most of my board works on arduino (5V) but the RF transmitter works on 3.3V

I found these http://www.ebay.com/itm/Charger-4x-3-6V-Lithium-Li-ion-CR2032-2032-LIR2032-Recharge-Button-Battery-/360795733989, they are 3.6V and I am using 2 that I want to connect in series to give an input of 7.2V

davenn said:
what is the bottom regulator ?
looks like a negative regulator ?
what's it outout voltage supposed to be ?

Dave

should I set them up in series instead of parallel then?

VCC = 5V
VEE = 3.3V

Last edited:
OK
thanks for your clarifications

in this case you have indicated the lower 2 capacitors with the wrong polarity

here's a circuit I drew using the battery supply you wanted...

attachment.php?attachmentid=64240&stc=1&d=1385280714.gif

Now the major problem with your thought of using only 2 batteries is that you are not really going to sustain the 2 to 2.5V headroom difference between the input and output of the 5V regulator

I would suggest that you will find you need 3 of those 3.6V batteries in series, rather than the 2 you wanted and that I have shown

OHHH and you can see I have chosen the BA033T regulator for the 3.3V rail

cheers
Dave

Attachments

• 5V,3.3V reg.GIF
    5V,3.3V reg.GIF
    2.4 KB · Views: 1,624
So, given that I am limited in size, would you suggest I move to 3x CR1220 or CR1225 ? (3volts each) and get a 9V total voltage?

Also, is ground the same as 0V ? (I know they are similar in AC or DC, but I can't remember where? or maybe I am completely wrong)

_Bd_ said:
So, given that I am limited in size, would you suggest I move to 3x CR1220 or CR1225 ? (3volts each) and get a 9V total voltage?

Im not too familiar with the 1220 or the 1225, you would need to consider if they have enough current supply capabilities for what your circuit requires
NOTE tho that none of those small button batteries have much current capability
the CR1220 for example is only 20mAH
you are not going to power much off that for any length of time
These styles of batteries are used in digital watches and for memory backup where the required current for the circuit is extremely low

I suspect you are going to have to reconsider your project size and a different type of battery

Also, is ground the same as 0V ? (I know they are similar in AC or DC, but I can't remember where? or maybe I am completely wrong)

in this case, the same thing

cheers
Dave

davenn said:
OK
attachment.php?attachmentid=64240&stc=1&d=1385280714.gif
You put capacitor backward for 3.3V

OK
thanks for your clarifications
in this case you have indicated the lower 2 capacitors with the wrong polarity
here's a circuit I drew using the battery supply you wanted...

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=64262&stc=1&d=1385332430

Now the major problem with your thought of using only 2 batteries is that you are not really going to sustain the 2 to 2.5V headroom difference between the input and output of the 5V regulator

I would suggest that you will find you need 3 of those 3.6V batteries in series, rather than the 2 you wanted and that I have shown

OHHH and you can see I have chosen the BA033T regulator for the 3.3V rail

cheers
Dave

Last edited:
The lm7805 is a voltage hog, needing 2V headroom. Use an LDO regulator like the http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm2940-n.pdf, which is more like 0.5V @ 1A.

Or, any LDO regulator that fits your needs. Just be sure to use modern LDO regulators, not another battery.

1. What is a PCB design?

A PCB (Printed Circuit Board) design is a layout or blueprint of a circuit that is used to physically connect and support electronic components. It is typically designed using specialized software and is manufactured to connect and power electronic devices.

2. Why would I need to add a battery (CR2032) to a PCB schematic?

Adding a battery to a PCB schematic can provide a portable power source for electronic devices. This is useful for devices that do not have access to a direct power source, or for backup power in case of a power outage.

3. How do I add a battery (CR2032) to a PCB schematic?

To add a battery to a PCB schematic, you will need to use specialized software such as Altium or Eagle. You will need to place a battery symbol and connect it to the appropriate circuit components, such as power regulators and load resistors.

4. Are there any considerations when adding a battery (CR2032) to a PCB schematic?

Yes, there are a few things to consider when adding a battery to a PCB schematic. You will need to ensure that the battery symbol is connected to the correct circuit components and that the battery voltage and current ratings are compatible with the rest of the circuit. You may also need to add a protection circuit to prevent overcharging or over-discharging of the battery.

5. Are there any alternatives to using a CR2032 battery in a PCB schematic?

Yes, there are other types of batteries that can be used in a PCB schematic, such as lithium-ion or nickel-metal hydride batteries. However, the type of battery chosen will depend on the specific requirements of the circuit and the device it is powering.