PDE as a corequisite for Quantum mechanics A

In summary, the courses Quantum Mechanics A and Electromagnetic Theory I will be taken next semester, with PDE listed as a corequisite for both. The student wants to know which PDE topics they should review during the holiday break in order to better understand the physics courses. The books used for QM and EM are David Griffith's Introduction to Quantum Mechanics and Introduction to Electrodynamics. PDE topics such as separation of variables and the wave equation may be helpful to review, as well as Fourier series if time allows. However, it is not necessary to have a deep understanding of PDEs to start learning from Griffith's books.
andytran
Hi,

I'll be taking Quantum Mechanics A, Electromagnetic Theory I and PDE next semester. However, in the course description, PDE is a corequisite for QM and Electromagnetic. I wanted to know what PDE topic should I read up on during the holiday that i might encounter in QM or EM before the actual PDE course.
Well, actually i wanted to know all the PDE topics that will be used in QM and EM before the semester start. I think it's easier to learn physics if you take care of the math first.

btw, QM and EM classes use David Griffin's book, Introduction to Quantum Mechanics and Introduction to Electrodynamics.

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
you really don't have to understand PDE to understand Griffith's QM or EM. The toughest thing you will come across is separation of variables, which you can master in an hour or two.

reading up on the wave equation might help some, since it is a fairly simple intro to separation of variables, boundary-value problems, etc. I agree you don't need much PDE's to start reading griffiths QM (though other books seem to assume more)

Alternatively, if you have time, reading up on Fourier series is probably a good idea as well.

1. What is PDE and why is it a corequisite for quantum mechanics?

PDE stands for Partial Differential Equations, which are mathematical equations used to model physical phenomena. In quantum mechanics, PDEs are used to describe the behavior of quantum systems and predict their future states.

2. What are the key concepts of PDE that are important for understanding quantum mechanics?

The key concepts of PDE that are important for understanding quantum mechanics include boundary conditions, eigenfunctions and eigenvalues, and superposition. These concepts are essential for solving PDEs and understanding the behavior of quantum systems.

3. How does PDE relate to the Schrödinger equation in quantum mechanics?

The Schrödinger equation, which describes the time evolution of a quantum system, is a type of PDE known as the time-dependent Schrödinger equation. This equation uses the concept of wavefunctions, which are solutions to the PDE, to describe the quantum state of a system.

4. Can PDE be used to solve any quantum mechanics problem?

While PDEs are an important tool in quantum mechanics, they cannot be used to solve all problems. Some systems may require other mathematical methods, such as perturbation theory or numerical methods, to accurately describe their behavior.

5. How can understanding PDEs improve our understanding of quantum mechanics?

Understanding PDEs allows us to accurately model and predict the behavior of quantum systems, which is essential for advancements in fields such as quantum computing and quantum physics. Additionally, PDEs provide a mathematical framework for studying and analyzing complex quantum systems, leading to a deeper understanding of the underlying principles of quantum mechanics.