1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PDE for temperature distribution in rectangle

1. Oct 26, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A rectangular chip of dimensions a by b is insulated on all sides and at t=o temperature u=0. The chip produces heat at a constant rate h. Find an expression for u(x,y,t)

2. Relevant equations
    δu/δt = h + D(δ2u/δx2 + δ2u/δy2) x∈(0,a), y∈(0,b)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm just wondering what effect the insulation on all sides will have on the equation. The temperature goes up by h per unit time throughout the chip but will the other term be affected?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2014 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

"Insulated" means that there is no heat flux into or out of the rectangle. Here this reduces to the requirement that the component of [itex]\nabla u[/itex] normal to the boundary must vanish. This gives you the boundary condition you need in order to solve the PDE.

4. Oct 27, 2014 #3
    Why just the normal component? If its insulated won't the tangential component also vanish? So δu/δx=δu/δy=0 at x=0,a and y=0,b.

The question actually says that there is no need to solve the pde to get to u(x,y,t) - that there is a way to guess the answer without solving it. I can't think of any such way. Any ideas?

5. Oct 27, 2014 #4

pasmith

Homework Helper

The physical constraint is "no heat flux across the boundary". The heat flux is [itex]D\nabla u[/itex], and the heat flux across the boundary is the component of [itex]D\nabla u[/itex] normal to the boundary. Flux parallel to the boundary is not a problem.

Is there any reason why the temperature should vary with position here, given that the heat source doesn't depend on position and the boundary conditions are consistent with a uniform temperature?

6. Oct 27, 2014 #5
    Alright...got it.

There's another related PDE: d2u/dx2 + d2u/dy2 = a*u with u = 0 on all edges for some eigenvalues a. I'm not sure how to go about this. I can start by solving the steady state equation but what do I do about the condition?

7. Oct 27, 2014 #6

pasmith

Homework Helper

Seek a separable solution [itex]u(x,y) = X(x)Y(y)[/itex]. You will find that there are particular values of [itex]a[/itex] (eigenvalues) for which [itex]u(x,y) \equiv 0[/itex] is not the only such solution.

8. Oct 27, 2014 #7
    I'm not clear what you mean by eigenvalues for which u=0 is not the only solution. Could you please elaborate?

9. Oct 28, 2014 #8

pasmith

Homework Helper

Simple example: Let [itex]X'' = kX[/itex] subject to [itex]X(0) = X(\pi) = 0[/itex]. The general solution of that ODE with satisfies [itex]X(0) = 0[/itex] is [tex]
    X(x) = \begin{cases} A\sin(\sqrt{|k|}x), & k < 0 \\
    Ax, & k = 0 \\
    A\sinh(\sqrt{k}x), & k > 0\end{cases}
    [/tex] In the second and third alternatives, the only way to satisfy [itex]X(\pi) = 0[/itex] is to take [itex]A = 0[/itex], which means that [itex]X(x) = 0[/itex]. However in the first case we can set [itex]k = -n^2 > 0[/itex] for integer [itex]n[/itex] and then [itex]X(x) = A \sin(nx)[/itex] satisfies [itex]X(\pi) = 0[/itex] for any value of [itex]A[/itex]. Thus [itex]\{-n^2 : n \in \mathbb{N}\}[/itex] are the eigenvalues, and [itex]\sin(nx)[/itex] is the corresponding eigenfunction. We don't need [itex]n < 0[/itex] because [itex]\sin(-|n|x) = -\sin(|n|x)[/itex].

10. Oct 30, 2014 #9
    Maybe I'm being dense but I'm not able to separate the variables, I get X''/X + Y''/Y = a. So how do I get separate equations for x and y?

11. Oct 30, 2014 #10

pasmith

Homework Helper

X''/X is a function of x only. Y''/Y is a function of y only. Their sum is a constant. Therefore each of them is constant.

12. Oct 30, 2014 #11
    So X''/X=m (a cpnstant) and Y''/Y = n (another constant) and m + n = a?

13. Oct 30, 2014 #12

pasmith

Homework Helper

Yes.

14. Oct 30, 2014 #13
    Ok...so do I break the equation down into 2 parts? A steady state one where d2u/dx2 + d2u/dy2 = 0 and another where it's = a*v and then add the 2 solutions? Or do I just do the latter equation?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted