Solving du/dt = (d^2)u/d(x^2) with Boundary Conditions

In summary: P(x) = 0 for x ≠ 1/2, our equation becomes:0 = A sin(nπx)This is satisfied for all n except when x = 1/2. For this value of x, we get:P(1/2) = A sin(nπ/2) = AWe also know that P(1/2) = u(1/2,0) = P(1/2) = u(1/2,0). Therefore, we can write our solution as:u(x,t) = Ae^-n^2π^2t sin(nπx)where A = P(1/2) = u(1/2,0).Finally,
CarmineCortez

Homework Statement

du/dt = (d^2)u/d(x^2), t>0, 0<x<1

u(0,t) = 0 = u(1,t) , t>0
u(x,0) = P(x), 0<x<1

P(x) = {0 , if abs(x-1/2) >epsilon/2
{u/epsilon, if abs(x-1/2) <= epsilon/2

i need to find u(1/2,1/pi^2)

Homework Equations

i have u(x,t) = SUM{ 2/(n*pi) *P(x)*(1-cos(n*pi))sin(n*pi*x)exp(-t*(n*pi)^2)}

The Attempt at a Solution

so when I try to get u(1/2,1/pi^2) i get 2U/e * 2/(pi*epsilon) * (exp(-2)-exp(-10)+exp(-26)-...)

I know the answer is u(1/2,1/Pi^2) = 2U/e * (sin(pi*epsilon/2)/(pi*epsilon/2))

Physics news on Phys.org
but I don't know how to get there. Can someone please help me understand how to get to this answer?

First, let's rewrite the given equation as:

du/dt = u''(x)

where u''(x) is the second derivative of u with respect to x.

Next, we can use the method of separation of variables to solve this differential equation. We assume that u(x,t) can be written as a product of two functions, one depending only on x and the other depending only on t:

u(x,t) = X(x)T(t)

Substituting this into our equation, we get:

X''(x)T(t) = X(x)T'(t)

Dividing both sides by X(x)T(t), we get:

X''(x)/X(x) = T'(t)/T(t)

Since the left side of the equation depends only on x and the right side depends only on t, both sides must be constant. Let's call this constant -λ^2. This gives us two separate equations:

X''(x) + λ^2X(x) = 0

T'(t) + λ^2T(t) = 0

The solution to the second equation is:

T(t) = Ae^-λ^2t

where A is a constant of integration.

For the first equation, we need to solve for X(x). The general solution to this equation is:

X(x) = c1cos(λx) + c2sin(λx)

Applying the boundary conditions u(0,t) = 0 and u(1,t) = 0, we get:

X(0) = c1 = 0

X(1) = c2sin(λ) = 0

Since we want a non-trivial solution, c2 must be non-zero. This means that sin(λ) = 0, which gives us the values of λ as nπ, where n is a positive integer.

Therefore, our solution for X(x) is:

X(x) = c2sin(nπx)

Substituting this into our original equation, we get:

u(x,t) = T(t)X(x) = Ae^-n^2π^2t sin(nπx)

We can now use the initial condition u(x,0) = P(x) to solve for A. Since u(x,0) =

What is the meaning of the equation du/dt = (d^2)u/d(x^2)?

The equation du/dt = (d^2)u/d(x^2) is a partial differential equation that describes the change in a function u with respect to time (t) and the change in the second derivative of u with respect to the spatial variable (x). It is also known as the diffusion equation or the heat equation.

What are boundary conditions in this context?

Boundary conditions are additional information that is needed to solve the differential equation. They specify the values or behavior of the function u at the boundaries of the domain, which can help determine a unique solution to the equation.

How do you solve this type of partial differential equation?

There are various methods to solve the diffusion equation with boundary conditions, including separation of variables, Fourier series, and Laplace transform. The specific approach used will depend on the given boundary conditions and the complexity of the equation.

What are some applications of this type of equation?

The diffusion equation with boundary conditions has many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It can be used to model heat transfer, mass transfer, and diffusion processes in various systems, such as chemical reactions, fluid flow, and population dynamics.

What are some challenges in solving this equation?

One of the main challenges in solving the diffusion equation with boundary conditions is finding an appropriate solution method that can handle the given boundary conditions and lead to a physically meaningful solution. Another difficulty can be dealing with complex or nonlinear boundary conditions, which may require more advanced mathematical techniques.