PDE - Solve heat equation with convection

In summary, the student is trying to solve for u_t - k u_xx+V u_x=0 with the initial condition u(x,0)=f(x). They use the transformation y=x-Vt to find u(x,t)=1/Sqrt[4\pi kt] \int e^(-(x-y)^2 /4kt)f(y) dy. They attempt to find a solution but are blocked because they do not understand the function h and its derivative. The student is then helped to find the solution by the tutor who shows them that h(x-Vt,0)=f(x-Vt) and that the initial condition
Ratpigeon

Homework Statement

Solve u_t -k u_xx +V u_x=0
With the initial condition, u(x,0)=f(x)

Use the transformation y=x-Vt

Homework Equations

The solution to the equation u_t - k u_xx=0 with the initial condition is
u(x,t)=1/Sqrt[4[itex]\pi[/itex] kt] [itex]\int[/itex] e^(-(x-y)^2 /4kt)f(y) dy

The Attempt at a Solution

I really just need help subbing in the change in variable.

I think it's something like
u_y= u_t dt/dy +u_x dx/dy with dx/dy=1/(dy/dx)=1, dt/dy=1/V
=-1/V u_t +u_x
But this doesn't put the equation into a useful form...

the other thing I thought of was
u_x=u_t dt/dx +u_y dy/dx =0+u_y
and u_t=u_x dx/dt+u_y dy/dt =-Vu_y
And then we have that u_t+V u_x=-V u_y +V u_y=0, so the DE is just k u_xx=0; which I'm guessing isn't right either - because then it's just straight integration; (with the constants as functions of y?)...
Anyway, I'm fairly sure that the change of variables will result in either u_y=u_t+V u_x or possibly some multiple.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Ratpigeon! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
Ratpigeon said:
u_x=u_t dt/dx +u_y dy/dx =0+u_y
and u_t=u_x dx/dt+u_y dy/dt =-Vu_y

no, you have two sets of variables: (x,t) and (y,t') with t' = t

your ut should have uy and ut' parts, not uy and ux parts :wink:

So is s=x+Vt
Then is it ux= uy +us, uxx=uyy+2uys+uss
ut=-Vuy+Vus and the total equaton is 2Vuy+uyy+2uys+uss?

Ratpigeon said:
So is s=x+Vt

what on Earth is "s" ? :confused:

you have two sets of variables: (x,t) and (y,t') with y = x - Vt and t' = t

your ut should have uy and ut' parts, not uy and ux parts :wink:

Okay so i define h(x-Vt,t')=u(x,t) and get
ht=ut-Vuy and hy=ux for y=x-Vt
So:
ht-khyy=ut-kuxx+Vux=0
And the initial conditon u(x,0)=f(x) becomes h(x-Vt,0)=f(x-Vt); and since t=0 this is just h(x,0)=f(x)
and then i have an integral of...

exp(-(x-Vt-y)^2/4kt) f(y)dy (with the square root scalar out the front) and that's the solution for h and hence also u?

sorry, this is too difficult to read :redface:

but anyway wouldn't it be easier to find ux and ut, since they're actually mentioned in the question?

Im about 90% sure i got it. thankyou so much for your help :) i just wasnt getting the variable change until you explained it... :S

Related to PDE - Solve heat equation with convection

1. What is the heat equation with convection?

The heat equation with convection is a partial differential equation (PDE) that describes the flow of heat in a medium with the presence of a convective term. It is used to model heat transfer in various physical systems, such as fluids and solids.

2. How do you solve the heat equation with convection?

The heat equation with convection can be solved using numerical methods, such as finite difference or finite element methods, or analytical methods, such as separation of variables or Laplace transforms. The method chosen depends on the specific problem and boundary conditions.

3. What is the role of convection in the heat equation?

Convection is the transfer of heat through a moving fluid, such as air or water. In the heat equation, convection is represented by a convective term that takes into account the flow of the medium and its effect on heat transfer.

4. How does the presence of convection affect the solution of the heat equation?

The presence of convection can significantly change the solution of the heat equation. Convection can increase or decrease the rate of heat transfer, depending on the direction and velocity of the flow. It can also introduce instabilities and non-uniform temperature distributions in the medium.

5. What are some applications of the heat equation with convection?

The heat equation with convection has numerous applications in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and meteorology. It is used to study heat transfer in pipes, heat exchangers, and electronic devices. It is also used to model weather patterns and ocean currents.