Sphere Temperature in a Changing Bath: Can You Help Solve This PDE?

• Thread starter fluidistic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pde Sphere
I'm stuck again!In summary, we use the heat equation and separation of variables to find the temperature distribution inside a sphere of radius R at time t=0 when put into a bath with temperature T_0. Using the method of Frobenius, we find that the general solution is T(r,t) = Ae^-kappaCt * c1sin(r√C)/r. However, the boundary conditions and initial conditions lead to a conflict when trying to solve for the unknown constants C and c2. Further analysis is needed to determine the correct solution.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A sphere of radius R at temperature T=0 is put into a bath at time t=0 whose temperature is [itex]T_0[/itex].
Calculate the temperature inside the sphere [itex]\forall t \geq 0[/itex], [itex]T(\vec x ,t )[/itex].

Homework Equations

Heat equation: [tex]\frac{\partial T }{\partial t} \cdot \frac{1}{\kappa} -\triangle T =0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I will use separation of variables as well as making the assumption that due to the symmetry of the problem, T will only depend on r and t and not on theta and phi (I'm talking about spherical coordinates).
Thus [itex]T(\vec x , t ) = T(r,t)=\tau (t) R(r)[/itex].
Plugging this back into the PDE and taking the Laplacian in spherical coordinates, the PDE reduces to 2 ODE's, namely [tex]\begin{cases} \frac{1}{\kappa } \frac{\tau '}{\tau } =-C \\ \frac{2R'}{rR} + \frac{R''}{R}=-C \end{cases}[/tex] where C is a constant.
I solved the first ODE, the solution is [itex]\tau (t)=Ae^{-\kappa C t}[/itex].
I rewrote the second ODE into the form [itex]R''+\frac{2R'}{r}+CR=0[/itex]. To solve this DE I tried the Frobenius's method. Namely [itex]R(r)=\sum _{n=0}^ \infty a_n r^{n+\mu}[/itex]. The secular equation gave me [itex]\mu =-1[/itex] or [itex]\mu =0[/itex]. Since they differ by an integer I can only get one solution using this method and I'll have to use variation of parameters to get the linearly independent other solution.
So I have to take the lowest mu value, namely -1 here.
I reached that [itex]a_0[/itex] is arbitrary as well as [itex]a_1[/itex] but [itex]a_0[/itex] cannot be 0. Furthermore I obtained the following recurrence relation: [itex]a_n=\frac{-Ca_{n-2}}{n^2-n}[/itex], [itex]\forall n \geq 2[/itex].
Choosing [itex]a_0=1[/itex] and [itex]a_1=0[/itex], I sought to obtain the general form of [itex]a_n[/itex]. But I was not successful.
I reached that [itex]\forall n \geq 1[/itex], [tex]a_n =\begin{cases} 0 \text{ if n is odd} \\ \frac{ (-1)^{n/2}C^{n/2}}{(n^2-n)[(n-2)^2-(n-2)]...(2^2-2)} \text{ if n is even} \end{cases}[/tex].
I'm basically stuck at rewriting the denominator of [itex]a_n[/itex] when n is even. Can somebody help me?
This looks pretty awful!

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you implement the 2 boundary conditions, i.e. T(R,t) = T_0 and T(r,t_0) = 0 ?

dextercioby said:
How did you implement the 2 boundary conditions, i.e. T(R,t) = T_0 and T(r,t_0) = 0 ?

I did not touch the boundary conditions yet, I'm looking for the general solution first and then I'll use the boundary condition+the initial condition.
I think they should be T(R,t)=T_0 and T(r<R,0)=0.Edit: Hmm I think I see what you mean. My solution for the [itex]\tau (t)[/itex] does not seem to make any sense, right?
So basically the method of separation of variables fails here?

Can you make a change of variable in your ODE, i./o. going to Frobenius ? Try u(r) = r R(r).

dextercioby said:
Can you make a change of variable in your ODE, i./o. going to Frobenius ? Try u(r) = r R(r).

Ok thanks a lot. I will try this suggestion. By the way what does i./o. mean? :)

It should probably be i/o, a web shortage for "instead of", just like irrep stands for "irreducible representation".

dextercioby said:
It should probably be i/o, a web shortage for "instead of", just like irrep stands for "irreducible representation".

Ah ok!
Well that's brillant, I get the ODE [itex]u''+Cu=0[/itex]. At first glance C will have to be negative, I'm going to proceed further in a few... I must leave for now.

If I call [itex]C=-k^2[/itex] the solution reduces to [itex]R(r)= \begin{cases} c_1 \frac{e^{kr}}{r}+ c_2 \frac{e^{-kr}}{r} \text{ for when } k \in \mathbb{R} \\ c_1 \frac{\cos (k_cr)}{r} + c_2 \frac{\sin (k_cr )}{r} \text { if k } \in \mathbb{C} \\ c_1+\frac{c_2}{r} \text{ if k =0} \end{cases}[/itex] where [itex]k_c[/itex] stands for the imaginary part of k.
Now of course I must dicard 2 of these solutions and find the constant(s) c1 and c2. Apparently k cannot be real because both c1 and c2 must be 0 to keep a finite solution at the origin.
If k is complex, then c1 must be worth 0. I think [itex]R(r)=c_2 \frac{\sin (k_cr )}{r}[/itex] could be possible.
I think I can safely discard the case k=0 because c2 would have to be worth 0 and by intuition the dependence of R(r) must not be a constant.
So I don't really know how to write the answer. I think it's [itex]R(r)=\frac{c_2 \sin ( k_c r)}{r}[/itex] but I don't know how to deal with [itex]k_c[/itex], it's not necessarily worth [itex]\sqrt C[/itex]. I'm not very confident of what I've done so far... what do you think?

Not sure why you think C should be negative. Indeed, I'd be surprised if your k could have a real part, so I would expect an answer c sin(r√C)/r.

haruspex said:
Not sure why you think C should be negative. Indeed, I'd be surprised if your k could have a real part, so I would expect an answer c sin(r√C)/r.

Sorry for my post 7, I was wrong. C indeed seems positive because an answer of the form c sin(r√C)/r assumes C is positive, for this solution is valid when k is a complex number and if it's purely imaginary then k^2 is a negative real number and thus C is positive.
So far I've reached the general form of the solution. It's [itex]T(r,t)=Ae^{-\kappa C t} c_1 \frac{\sin (r \sqrt C) }{r}=\frac{c_2e^{-\kappa Ct}\sin (r \sqrt C)}{r}[/itex].
So I have 2 unknowns (C and c2) and 1 boundary +1 initial condition.
But my problem is the following:
[itex]T(R,t)=T_0 \Rightarrow c_2=\frac{RT_0}{\sin (R \sqrt C )}[/itex]. Okay so far.
But the initial condition gives me troubles: [itex]T(r,0)=0 \Rightarrow \frac{c_2 \sin (r \sqrt C )}{r}=0 \Rightarrow c_2=0[/itex] (that I discard) or [itex]\sin (r \sqrt C )=0[/itex]. So that [itex]r\sqrt C =n \pi[/itex] with [itex]n \in \mathbb{N}[/itex]. This makes C not a constant anymore but a variable that depends on r...
Sigh. I really don't know what's wrong. :frown:

Edit: I've just checked out and [itex]R(r)=\frac{c_2 \sin (\sqrt C r ) }{r}[/itex] does satisfies the ODE R''+(2/r)R'+CR=0, which is a good sign.

Edit 2: When I take the limit when r tends to 0 (when I go to the center of the sphere), I get [itex]T(0,t)=\sqrt C c_2 e^{-\kappa Ct}[/itex] which basically shows that it cools down (instead of heating up!) with time and at t=0 is worth [itex]\sqrt C c_2[/itex] which must equal 0 by the initial condition. So something is very wrong, but I don't see what's wrong.

Last edited:
Clearly as t increases it will tend to be T0 everywhere. So there should be a constant term T0, and the general solution will be T(r,t) = T0-ƩAke-κk2tsin(kr)/r
Haven't tried to spot where you lost the T=constant solution to the ODE.
PS: I'm not suggesting k is an integer there. The set of k values is to be determined.

Note that if you add or subtract any constant to [itex]T(\vec x ,t )[/itex] it will still satisfy the heat equation. Thus, you might try letting [itex]\tau(\vec x ,t )[/itex] = [itex]T(\vec x ,t )[/itex] - ##T_0##. It will have the same general form of solution that you found for [itex]T(\vec x ,t )[/itex] exept the boundary and initial conditions will change. You should find that you can satisfy the boundary condition at r = R for [itex]\tau(\vec x ,t )[/itex] with an infinite number of different choices for your constant C. These values of C will be related to the k's in haruspex's expression for the solution.

Thanks for the help guys, though I'm still stuck.
haruspex said:
Clearly as t increases it will tend to be T0 everywhere. So there should be a constant term T0, and the general solution will be T(r,t) = T0-ƩAke-κk2tsin(kr)/r
Haven't tried to spot where you lost the T=constant solution to the ODE.
PS: I'm not suggesting k is an integer there. The set of k values is to be determined.
So [itex]T(r,t)=T_0 - \sum _k A_k e^{-\kappa k^2 t} \frac{\sin (kr )}{r}[/itex]. The initial condition gives me [itex]T(r,0)=0 \Rightarrow T_0 - \sum _k A_k \frac{\sin (kr )}{r}=0[/itex]. I don't know if it's possible that a constant can be written as a sum of a sinus function divided by the argument of the sinus function. Maybe this is a Fourier series, I'm not really sure. But I don't know how to get the values of k from it.
TSny said:
Note that if you add or subtract any constant to [itex]T(\vec x ,t )[/itex] it will still satisfy the heat equation. Thus, you might try letting [itex]\tau(\vec x ,t )[/itex] = [itex]T(\vec x ,t )[/itex] - ##T_0##. It will have the same general form of solution that you found for [itex]T(\vec x ,t )[/itex] exept the boundary and initial conditions will change. You should find that you can satisfy the boundary condition at r = R for [itex]\tau(\vec x ,t )[/itex] with an infinite number of different choices for your constant C. These values of C will be related to the k's in haruspex's expression for the solution.
Using [itex]\tilde T(\vec x ,t ) =T(\vec x , t ) + T_0[/itex], the boundary condition gives me [itex]\frac{c_2e^{-\kappa C t} \sin (R \sqrt C )}{R}=2T_0[/itex]. Which is impossible because the left side depends on t while the right side does not.
The initial condition gives me [itex]\frac{c_2 \sin ( r \sqrt C )}{r}-T_0=0[/itex] so that the constant is a function of r, impossible.

Yeah it's strange that my method did not reach the fact that adding a constant to the general solution would still make it a general solution.

fluidistic said:
So [itex]T(r,t)=T_0 - \sum _k A_k e^{-\kappa k^2 t} \frac{\sin (kr )}{r}[/itex]. The initial condition gives me [itex]T(r,0)=0 \Rightarrow T_0 - \sum _k A_k \frac{\sin (kr )}{r}=0[/itex]. I don't know if it's possible that a constant can be written as a sum of a sinus function divided by the argument of the sinus function. Maybe this is a Fourier series, I'm not really sure. But I don't know how to get the values of k from it.
We'll come back to that. Let's look at the other boundary condition first.
Using [itex]\tilde T(\vec x ,t ) =T(\vec x , t ) + T_0[/itex], the boundary condition gives me [itex]\frac{c_2e^{-\kappa C t} \sin (R \sqrt C )}{R}=2T_0[/itex].
No, r = R should give you:
[itex]T(R,t)=T_0 - \sum _k A_k e^{-\kappa k^2 t} \frac{\sin (kR )}{R} = T_0[/itex]
[itex]\sum _k A_k e^{-\kappa k^2 t} \frac{\sin (kR )}{R} = 0[/itex]
That should tell you what the k values are.

fluidistic said:
Using [itex]\tilde T(\vec x ,t ) =T(\vec x , t ) + T_0[/itex], the boundary condition gives me [itex]\frac{c_2e^{-\kappa C t} \sin (R \sqrt{C })}{R}=2T_0[/itex].

Try shifting the temperature the other way. Let

[itex]\tilde T(\vec x ,t ) =T(\vec x , t ) - T_0[/itex]

Then reconsider the boudary condition at r = R and find the possible values of [itex]\sqrt{C}[/itex] ## \equiv k## that will satisfy the boundary condition. [Whoops! I see haruspex already made essentially the same comment.]

Thanks once more seriously guys! I'm sorry for my careless arithmetics errors.
So I get [itex]k=\frac{n\pi}{R}[/itex] with n=0, 1, 2, ... This makes [itex]C=\left ( \frac{n\pi}{R} \right ) ^2[/itex].
The initial condition [itex]\tilde T (r,0)=0[/itex] gives me [itex]\sum _{n=0}^\infty A_n \frac{\sin \left ( \frac{n\pi}{R} \right ) ^2 }{r}=T_0[/itex]. So I must get those A_n coefficients and I'd be done.
The trick is to convert the infinite series into an integral? The limits of the integral would be 0 and R I guess and it will be with respect to r. I'm not 100% sure how to proceed there.

fluidistic said:
So I get [itex]k=\frac{n\pi}{R}[/itex] with n=0, 1, 2, ... This makes [itex]C=\left ( \frac{n\pi}{R} \right ) ^2[/itex].
Good. But you should be able to see that you can ignore the n = 0 term.
The initial condition [itex]\tilde T (r,0)=0[/itex] gives me [itex]\sum _{n=0}^\infty A_n \frac{\sin \left ( \frac{n\pi}{R} \right ) ^2 }{r}=T_0[/itex]. So I must get those A_n coefficients and I'd be done.
Remember, the argument of the sine function is ##\sqrt{C}r##.
The trick is to convert the infinite series into an integral? The limits of the integral would be 0 and R I guess and it will be with respect to r. I'm not 100% sure how to proceed there.
What type of infinite series do you get on the left if you multiply both sides of the equation [itex]\sum _{n=1}^\infty A_n ...=T_0[/itex] by ##r##?

TSny said:
Good. But you should be able to see that you can ignore the n = 0 term.
True, because we discarted the case k=0 already, right?
Remember, the argument of the sine function is ##\sqrt{C}r##.
Yes, I made a latex typo and forgot to include the "r" part.

What type of infinite series do you get on the left if you multiply both sides of the equation [itex]\sum _{n=1}^\infty A_n ...=T_0[/itex] by ##r##?
Hmm I don't really know. Looks like a sine Fourier series.

fluidistic said:
True, because we discarded the case k=0 already, right?

Right, k = 0 will give zero contribution due to sin(kr) = 0 when k = 0.
Yes, I made a latex typo and forgot to include the "r" part.
And also forgot to take the square root of C.
Hmm I don't really know. Looks like a sine Fourier series.

Yes. There's a standard way to find the coefficients of a Fourier series.

TSny said:
And also forgot to take the square root of C.
Oh right, another latex typo I did not see.
Yes. There's a standard way to find the coefficients of a Fourier series.
I look at http://mathworld.wolfram.com/FourierSineSeries.html. So [itex]A_n=\frac{2}{R} \int _0 ^R r T_0 \sin \left ( \frac{n\pi r}{R} \right ) dr[/itex].
I solved that integral by parts. I reach that [itex]A_n=(-1)^{n+1} \frac{2RT_0}{n\pi}[/itex].
Therefore the final answer of the problem would be... [tex]\tilde T(r,t)=T_0 \left [ 1+ \frac{2R}{\pi r} \sum _{n=1}^\infty \frac{(-1)^n}{n} \sin \left ( \frac{n\pi r}{R} \right ) \right ][/tex].
I hope I did not make any typo and more importantly, any mistake.

fluidistic said:
Therefore the final answer of the problem would be... [tex]\tilde T(r,t)=T_0 \left [ 1+ \frac{2R}{\pi r} \sum _{n=1}^\infty \frac{(-1)^n}{n} \sin \left ( \frac{n\pi r}{R} \right ) \right ][/tex].
I hope I did not make any typo and more importantly, any mistake.
Other than leaving out the e-kt term?

haruspex said:
Other than leaving out the e-kt term?

Oh right haha. :rofl: My excuse is that it was almost 3 am.
Problem solved. Thank you very much guys.:approve:

1. What is a PDE?

A PDE, or partial differential equation, is a type of mathematical equation that involves multiple variables and their partial derivatives. It is commonly used to model physical phenomena such as heat transfer, fluid flow, and electromagnetic fields.

2. How does the sphere behave when put into a bath?

When a sphere is put into a bath, it will initially sink due to gravity. However, as it displaces water, there will be a buoyant force acting on the sphere that will eventually balance out the weight of the sphere. This results in the sphere reaching a state of equilibrium, where it neither sinks nor floats.

3. What is the significance of using a PDE to model this scenario?

Using a PDE allows for a more accurate and detailed representation of the sphere's behavior in the bath. It takes into account various factors such as the properties of the fluid, the shape and size of the sphere, and the forces acting on it. This allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the system and can be used to make predictions or optimize the system.

4. Are there any simplifications or assumptions made in this PDE model?

Yes, there are several simplifications and assumptions made in this PDE model. Some common ones include assuming the fluid is incompressible, neglecting any air resistance, and assuming the sphere is a perfect sphere with no imperfections. These assumptions allow for a more manageable and solvable equation, but they may not accurately reflect real-world scenarios.

5. Can this PDE model be applied to other scenarios besides a sphere in a bath?

Yes, the principles and techniques used in this PDE model can be applied to other scenarios involving objects in fluids. For example, it can be used to model the behavior of a ship in water or the movement of particles in a gas. However, the specific equations and assumptions may vary depending on the system being modeled.