PDE: Wave equation with first order derivative

In summary, the problem requires solving using separation of variables, with given initial conditions. However, the resulting equation is rather unpleasant and may not have a simple solution.
talolard

Homework Statement

Solve using separation of variables utt = uxx+aux
u(0,t)=u(1,t)=0
u(x,0)=f(x)
ut=g(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

if not for the ux I'd set
U=XT
such that X''T=TX'' and using initial conditions get a solution.

In my case I get T''X=T(aX'+X'') which is still solvable but highly unpleasant. The question comes from an old exam and I wonder if their is something I'm not seeing?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the substitution [itex]u(x,t) = e^{\beta x}v(x,t)[/itex], for a suitable value of [itex]\beta[/itex].

EDIT: Forget that, it doesn't simplify as I thought it would. But if you separate the variables as is, you end up with a perfectly normal 2nd order linear ODE with constant coefficients for [itex]X(x)[/itex].

Last edited:
talolard said:
In my case I get T''X=T(aX'+X'') which is still solvable but highly unpleasant.
Is it stated anywhere that the solution will be pleasant?
Post your subsequent working down to the point where you find it suspiciously messy.

1. What is a PDE?

A PDE (partial differential equation) is a mathematical equation that involves partial derivatives of an unknown function with respect to multiple independent variables.

2. What is the wave equation with first order derivative?

The wave equation with first order derivative is a PDE that describes the behavior of waves in a given medium. It involves the first order derivative of the wave function with respect to both time and space.

3. What does the solution of the wave equation represent?

The solution of the wave equation represents the displacement of a wave at any given point in space and time.

4. What are some applications of the wave equation with first order derivative?

The wave equation with first order derivative has applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and finance. It is used to model phenomena such as sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and stock market fluctuations.

5. How is the wave equation solved with first order derivative?

The wave equation with first order derivative is typically solved using separation of variables, where the solution is expressed as a product of two functions, one depending only on time and the other only on space. Boundary and initial conditions are then used to determine the specific form of the solution.