Should Fourier Transforms Be Taught Before Introducing the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle?

In summary, the conversation discussed the teaching of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle (HUP) and its relation to Fourier Transforms (FTs) and wave mechanics. It was suggested that students should be introduced to FTs and wave mechanics before discussing the HUP to avoid confusion and philosophical crisis. Some suggested using a representation-free approach to teaching quantum mechanics and clarifying that the HUP applies to non-commuting observables.
houlahound
HUP was taught at least to me, as a brute fact that came into existence when my lecturer wrote it on the board...with chalk.

I was fortunate enough to have already had some background in Fourier Transforms.

When doing a basic course on SWE and the link between it and wave solutions, the HUP then seemed obvious and mundane.

Many students however that had not already studied the FT went into philosophical crisis.

The solution seems obvious;

Do not mention the HUP until students have seen a lot of concrete examples of FT's in mundane applications.

My slogan would be:

FT's first...then wave mechanics...then the HUP.

Thoughts?​

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
houlahound said:
I agree. :smile:

houlahound said:
HUP was taught at least to me, as a brute fact that came into existence when my lecturer wrote it on the board...with chalk.

I was fortunate enough to have already had some background in Fourier Transforms.

When doing a basic course on SWE and the link between it and wave solutions, the HUP then seemed obvious and mundane.

Many students however that had not already studied the FT went into philosophical crisis.

The solution seems obvious;

Do not mention the HUP until students have seen a lot of concrete examples of FT's in mundane applications.

My slogan would be:

Thoughts?​
In my opinion you should not start teaching QM with wave mechanics but use the representation free approach with the advantage that you can discuss the most simple case of spin-1/2 observables (2D unitary vector space instead of the full separable infinite-dimensional Hilbert space). The HUP just follows from positive definiteness of the scalar product. It's not limited to conjugate pairs of observables and thus not limited to (generalized) Fourier transformations.

vanhees71 said:
The HUP just follows from positive definiteness of the scalar product. It's not limited to conjugate pairs of observables and thus not limited to (generalized) Fourier transformations.
But it needs noncommuting oservables.

houlahound said:
When doing a basic course on SWE
Just to clarify: SWE = ?

A. Neumaier said:
But it needs noncommuting oservables.
I referred to the usual Heisenberg-Robertson uncertainty relation which holds for any pair of observables
$$\Delta A \Delta B \geq \frac{1}{2} |\langle [\hat{A},\hat{B}] \rangle|.$$
If the observables ##A## and ##B## are compatible, i.e., if the corresponding representing self-adjoint operators ##\hat{A}## and ##\hat{B}## commute, of course, there's no restriction by the uncertainty relation, i.e., you can prepare the system in states, where both observables have determined values (represented, e.g., by a common eigenvector of the operators).

jtbell said:
Just to clarify: SWE = ?

Schrödinger wave equation.

1. What is pedagogy?

Pedagogy is the study and practice of teaching and education. It encompasses the theories, methods, and strategies used to facilitate learning and development in individuals.

2. What is the role of pedagogy in education?

Pedagogy plays a crucial role in education by providing educators with a framework for planning, implementing, and evaluating their teaching practices. It also helps to create a conducive and engaging learning environment for students.

3. What is the difference between pedagogy and andragogy?

Pedagogy and andragogy are both methods of teaching and learning, but they differ in their approach and target audience. Pedagogy focuses on teaching children and young learners, while andragogy focuses on teaching adults. Andragogy places more emphasis on self-directed and experiential learning, while pedagogy is more teacher-centered.

4. How does pedagogy impact student learning?

Pedagogy has a significant impact on student learning. The use of effective pedagogical strategies can improve students' engagement, motivation, and understanding of the subject matter. It also helps to develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills in students.

5. What is the Humanistic-Existential Pedagogy (HUP)?

Humanistic-Existential Pedagogy (HUP) is an approach to teaching and learning that focuses on the individual's personal growth and development. It emphasizes the importance of self-awareness, self-actualization, and authenticity in the learning process. It also encourages students to take responsibility for their learning and to view themselves as active participants in their education.