Exploring the Physics of a Pendulum-Like 2D Object with a Unique Twist

• Thread starter mangaluve
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pendulum
In summary, Bob S has successfully been able to simulate an e pendulum. He now wants to create something a bit more complicated. He takes a 2d-object, for instance a square, and somewhere on the square he makes a hole, and then he hangs it on the wall on a nail. The square then moves a bit and let it fall (like a pendulum, but there is no string, instead the pivot is connected to the object itself). The square will rotate around the pivot, such that at the end of the motion the center of gravity will be vertically aligned with the pivot. This is called a physical pendulum, and the motion is governed by Newton's law.
mangaluve
I've successfully been able to simulate e pendulum (wow!). Now I want something slighly more complicated (at least I think it is). Suppose I take some 2d-object, for instance a square. Somewhere on the square I make a hole, and then I hang it on the wall on a nail. Then I move it a bit and let it fall (like a pendulum, but there is no string, instead the pivot is connected to the object itself). What is the physics behind the movements of this square?

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose that it will rotate around the pivot, such that at the end of the motion the center of gravity will be vertically aligned with the pivot.

This is what is called a physical pendulum, and the motion is governed by Newton's law in the form
sum of torques = I * alpha

In general, all you have to do is calculate the moment of inertia of the body, and use that for I. Other than that, it behaves just like a regular pendulum. In fact, your other simulation should work for the new value of I.

The total energy of the body (physical square) is the rotational energy about its center of mass plus the energy of the linear motion of its center of mass. This in turn is equal to mgh, where h is the vertical distance the center of mass dropped from its release point.

Last edited:
What Bob S says is true, but it is awkward. The easier way to express the total kinetic energy of the body is to use the MMOI with respect to the fixed point, in which case the kinetic energy is simply
T = (1/2) Io w^2
where Io is the MMOI with respect to the fixed point.

OK. But doing the moment of inertia (MOI) integral about an arbitrary point in the square is messy. It is much easier to do it about the center of mass. Consider a circular disk with the pivot point off center. The MOI about the center is simple to calculate, as is the translational energy of the center of mass. I recall in class doing this problem as Dr. D. proposes, and finding that the solution separates into two terms, like the ones I describe.

But the MMOI with respect to an arbitrary point is easily obtained from the centroidal MMOI by the parallel axis theorem.

I agree with Dr.D that the most elegant way of solving the above problem is with the parallel axis theorem. However, a similar problem, that of a "pendulum but not quite" where a solid spherical ball of mass M and radius b is rolling but not slipping on the inside of a spherical bowl of radius R. One could use the approach that the point of contact of the ball with the bowl is instantaneously at rest, and use parallel axis theorem, or add the sum of translational energy and rotational energy to get the total energy, which is equal to Mgh. This latter approach is more general.

But you can get into trouble there because you are relying on the fact that the point of contact is an instant center of rotation, but it is also an accelerated point most of the time. That can get you into big problems real fast! At that point, it is usually better to go back to the mass center for moment sums.

1. What is a pendulum-like 2D object with a unique twist?

A pendulum-like 2D object with a unique twist is a physical system that behaves like a pendulum, but with an added twist or rotation. This can be achieved by attaching a weight to the end of a rod or string and allowing it to swing back and forth in a 2D plane. The added twist can come from various factors such as a rotating platform or an external force.

2. How does the unique twist affect the motion of the pendulum-like 2D object?

The unique twist adds an additional degree of freedom to the motion of the pendulum-like 2D object. This means that the object can not only oscillate back and forth, but also rotate or twist in a circular motion. The unique twist can also affect the period and frequency of the oscillations, making the motion more complex and interesting to study.

3. What factors affect the motion of a pendulum-like 2D object with a unique twist?

The motion of a pendulum-like 2D object with a unique twist is affected by several factors, including the length and weight of the pendulum, the angle of release, and the amount of twist or rotation. Other external factors such as air resistance and friction can also impact the motion of the object.

4. What are some real-world applications of studying pendulum-like 2D objects with a unique twist?

Studying pendulum-like 2D objects with a unique twist can have various real-world applications. One example is in the field of seismology, where scientists use pendulum seismometers to detect and measure earthquakes. The unique twist in the pendulum's motion allows for more sensitive and accurate measurements. Other applications can include studying the motion of celestial bodies, designing mechanical clocks, and understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules in a magnetic field.

5. How can the physics of a pendulum-like 2D object with a unique twist be further explored?

There are many ways to further explore the physics of a pendulum-like 2D object with a unique twist. One approach is to vary the parameters of the system, such as the length and weight of the pendulum or the amount of twist, and observe how it affects the motion. Another approach is to introduce other forces, such as gravity or electromagnetic forces, and study their impact on the object's motion. Mathematical modeling and computer simulations can also be used to study the behavior of pendulum-like 2D objects with unique twists in different scenarios.