Pendulum conservation of momentum

In summary, the problem involves a 20 kg wood ball hanging from a 2m long wire with a maximum tension of 400N. A 1 kg projectile traveling horizontally hits and embeds itself in the wood ball. The largest speed the projectile can have without causing the wire to break can be found by using conservation of momentum at the collision and including the forces of tension and gravity in the radial direction. After calculating the tension when the string is vertical, it can be used to solve for the projectile's initial velocity. It is also important to note that the tension may not be at its maximum when the string is vertical.
bcjochim07

Homework Statement

A 20 kg wood ball hangs from 2m long wire. The maximum tension the wire can withstand without breaking is 400N. A 1 kg projectile traveling horizontally hits and embeds itself in the wood ball. What is the largest speed this projectile can have with causing the wire to break?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I first used conservation of momentum

vop= initial velocity of projectile

(1kg)(vop)=(21kg)(vf)

Then I tried drawing a force body diagram. Then the thought occurred to me that not only tension acts in the radial direction, but also gravity once the pendulum swings out to an angle. So isn't momentum only conserved right before and right after the collision?
Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
ok here are my assumptions,

1. i think the problem wants us to assume that there is no angle made from the vertical, thus eliminating an integration factor

2. 1kg Vo= 21kg Vf

3. You can use energy, and apply your results to a free body diagram

and Vf = (Vo)/21kg,

bcjochim07 said:
So isn't momentum only conserved right before and right after the collision?

Hi bcjochim07! :smile:

That's right … at the collision itself, the change in momentum is impulsive (ie sudden), so the gradual forces (weight and tension) can be ignored.

After that, you do have to include both weight and tension, as you say.

Hint: first calculate the tension when the string is vertical (because that's the easy case … you can do it for the string at an angle later).

And that tension is … ? :smile:

tension when it is vertical is 205.8 N. So when it is at angle, the force of gravity along the radial direction will be less.

So if I can ignore the angle like oomair says:
so vf=vpo/21kg

So you're saying that i should say
F= (400N)= (21kg)*(vpo/21)^2/(2m)
and solve for vpo??

Is these an ok assumption??

bcjochim07 said:
F= (400N)= (21kg)*(vpo/21)^2/(2m)

Not quite … you've put tension = mass x acceleration … but you have to include the weight (the gravitational force)! :smile:

oh ok include the weight that I calculated when it is vertical in the sum of forces with the 400 N and then solve for vpo. I think I've got it.

That's it! :smile:

And don't forget to comment on whether the tension is a maximum in the vertical position!

( … if aok now, don't forget to click on "Thread Tools" to mark the thread [SOLVED] … :smile: )

What is the concept of pendulum conservation of momentum?

Pendulum conservation of momentum is a physical law that states that the total momentum of a system remains constant in the absence of external forces. This means that the momentum of an object before a collision or interaction will be equal to the momentum of the object after the collision or interaction.

How does a pendulum demonstrate conservation of momentum?

A pendulum demonstrates conservation of momentum through its swinging motion. As the pendulum swings back and forth, its momentum changes direction, but the total momentum remains constant. This is because the force of gravity acting on the pendulum is the only external force, and it does not affect the total momentum of the system.

What factors affect the conservation of momentum in a pendulum?

The conservation of momentum in a pendulum is affected by the mass of the pendulum, the length of the pendulum, and the amplitude of its swing. The greater the mass and length of the pendulum, the more momentum it will have, and the larger the amplitude of its swing, the more momentum will be transferred between the pendulum and its support.

How is the conservation of momentum related to energy conservation in a pendulum?

The conservation of momentum is closely related to energy conservation in a pendulum. As the pendulum swings back and forth, the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy and back again. The total energy of the system (potential energy + kinetic energy) remains constant, just like the total momentum.

Why is pendulum conservation of momentum important in real-life applications?

Pendulum conservation of momentum is important in many real-life applications, such as in sports and transportation. For example, understanding the conservation of momentum is crucial in designing and using safety equipment, such as helmets and airbags, to reduce the impact force on an object during a collision. It is also important in the design and operation of vehicles, such as rockets and airplanes, to ensure efficient and safe transportation.