Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Penrose diagrams, reference request.

1. Jul 6, 2011 #1

martinbn

Science Advisor

Where can one find a general and detailed exposition of Penrose diagrams? What I have seen so far, in the books, are relatively brief general comments and a couple of specific examples. Usually Minkowski and Schwarzschild metrics, sometimes one or two more.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2011 #2

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I like the discussion in Penrose's popularization Cycles of Time. The good thing about it is that although it's nonmathematical, he explains lots and lots of examples.

For a more detailed mathematical treatment, you could try Hawking and Ellis, or Winitzki's online book http://sites.google.com/site/winitzki/index/topics-in-general-relativity . Winitzki has nice discussions of things that I haven't seen elsewhere, like the properties that are required for the mapping in the Minkowski case. (E.g., Hawking and Ellis just give a mapping, but they don't say anything about why they choose that particular one.) Wald has a careful, detailed mathematical treatment of the definition of asymptotic flatness.

What I find hard about the subject is that it seems to have undergone a process of gradual generalization, but Penrose's is the only attempt I've seen to go back and give a synoptic view, and Penrose's treatment is nonmathematical. I haven't seen a clear, mathematically detailed description of what the fundamental principles are that apply in general. Everybody just presents certain special cases.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  4. Jul 6, 2011 #3

martinbn

Science Advisor

Thanks, this is actually helpful.

Yes, I have looked at only a few books, but this was my impression too, and I would like to see a mathematically detailed description.

The book of Penrose is on my "to read" list, now I will bump it up. I have looked at Hawking and Ellis, but that part wasn't to my liking. Probably I wasn't ready for it yet. I'll give it another try. Winitzki's books, on first glance, seems exactly what I was looking for, and I have immediate access to it. It'll certainly help me understand better.

Thanks a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook