Penrose Process: Unlocking the Mystery

In summary, the Penrose Process involves a particle with energy E at infinity decaying into two photons in the ergoregion of a Kerr black hole. One of the photons falls towards the singularity, while the other can escape to infinity. This is possible due to the positive angular velocity of the photon, which allows it to escape even though it is initially in the ergosphere, where photons typically have infinite redshift. The process works for photons of any energy, as long as they have a positive energy at infinity.
astrolollo
Hi everyone,

I am a bit confused about the Penrose Process. Let's say a particle with energy E at infinity arrives in the ergoregion of a Kerr black hole and then it decays into two photons. One of them has L_1<0 and E_1<0 and hence it falls towards the singularity, while the other has L_2>0 and E_2>0. The latter photon can reach infinity (if E_2 is sufficiently high) wher an observer would detect it. By energy conservation, E_2=E-E_1 >E since E_1<0. Thus we have received a photon with an energy greater than the energy of the particle we had sent into the black hole. I mathematically understand this, but I am still puzzled. The ergosphere (the boundary of the ergoregion) is a infinite-redshift surface. Hence a photon departing from there arrives at infinity with frequency equal to zero. So, since ##E=h \nu## , I wouldn't detect anything. I can't figure out what happens to the redshift as soon as a photon comes out from INSIDE the ergoregion. Moreover, I wouldn't have more energy than the one of the particle I had sent towards the black hole. Another inconsistency is that E must be a conserved quantity (related to the Killing vector ##\partial_{t}## ), and in fact it is not if the photon is created ON the ergosphere (it would need to have E>0 to escape the black hole, but since the light is redshifted it has E=0 at infinity). Can anyone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
astrolollo said:
The ergosphere (the boundary of the ergoregion) is a infinite-redshift surface.

Not for all photons. It's a surface at which a photon that is moving purely radially outward will have infinite redshift. (Note that this is a heuristic description and has significant limitations, but it will do for this discussion.) But a photon coming out from the ergosphere will not be moving purely radially. It will have a positive angular velocity, i.e., it will have a component of its motion which is angular, in the same direction as the rotation of the hole. So it can escape to infinity just fine.

Ok thanks. I guess though that the process is efficient only for very high energetic photons, since they will undergo a gravitational redshift anyway. Is this correct?

astrolollo said:
I guess though that the process is efficient only for very high energetic photons

The process works for photons of any energy. More precisely, any photon that has a positive energy at infinity can escape. So, in the terminology of your OP, any E2 that is positive will work.

astrolollo said:
since they will undergo a gravitational redshift anyway

The energy at infinity of the photon already takes into account all of the gravitational redshift it will undergo as it escapes. So if E2 > 0, that means the photon will still have some energy left after it has escaped to infinity.

What is the Penrose Process?

The Penrose Process is a theoretical concept proposed by physicist Roger Penrose in 1969. It describes a mechanism by which energy can be extracted from a rotating black hole.

How does the Penrose Process work?

In the Penrose Process, a particle splits into two near a black hole. One particle falls into the black hole while the other escapes at a higher energy state. This results in a net energy gain, with the black hole losing some of its rotational energy.

Can the Penrose Process be observed in real life?

Currently, the Penrose Process is only a theoretical concept and has not been directly observed in real life. However, some astrophysical phenomena, such as jets of particles emitted from black holes, may be related to the Penrose Process.

What is the significance of the Penrose Process?

The Penrose Process has important implications for our understanding of black holes and their role in the universe. It also has potential applications in future technologies, such as extracting energy from black holes to power spacecraft.

Are there any limitations to the Penrose Process?

One limitation of the Penrose Process is that it requires a rotating black hole, which may not be present in all black holes. Additionally, the amount of energy that can be extracted is limited and may not be enough to make the process feasible for practical applications.