Percent Composition & Finding Formula - Chemistry

In summary, to find the formula of the sulphide formed, you need to first convert the masses of sulphur and iron to moles and then find the ratio of moles of sulphur consumed to moles of iron consumed. This ratio will give you the atomic ratio of sulphur to iron in the sulphide, which can be easily translated into a formula. If you get a decimal number, convert it into a fraction or use a calculator to find the simplest ratio of whole numbers.
Larrytsai
% Composition & Finding Formula - Chemistry

50.0g of Sulphur is mixed with 100.0g of iron and heated strongly. When the reaction is complete 12.5g of iron remains. What is the formula of sulphide formed?

duno where to start

Physics news on Phys.org
Convert everything to moles. Find the ratio of (moles sulphur consumed) to (moles iron consumed). That should give you the atomic ratio of sulphur to iron in the sulphide, which translates easily to a formula.

In general, "convert everything to moles" is a good first step.

Kalirren said:
Convert everything to moles. Find the ratio of (moles sulphur consumed) to (moles iron consumed). That should give you the atomic ratio of sulphur to iron in the sulphide, which translates easily to a formula.

hmmm kk well where i get lost is when i divide the moles.
What i would do is divide big/small and get a decimal number but i don't knw how to convert that into a fraction

Generally, if you did the problem correctly, a pretty obvious and easily recognizable ratio of small whole numbers will turn out. Just do it and then see.

Admittedly, I always just used the ->frac command on my calculator.

What is percent composition in chemistry?

Percent composition in chemistry refers to the percentage of each element present in a compound by mass. It is calculated by dividing the mass of each element in the compound by the total mass of the compound and then multiplying by 100. This information is helpful in determining the chemical and physical properties of a compound.

How do you find the percent composition of a compound?

To find the percent composition of a compound, first determine the molar mass of the compound by adding the atomic masses of each element present. Then, divide the mass of each element by the total molar mass and multiply by 100. The resulting values represent the percent composition of each element in the compound.

What is a formula unit?

A formula unit is the simplest whole number ratio of ions in an ionic compound. It is similar to a molecule in covalent compounds, but since ionic compounds do not exist as discrete molecules, the term formula unit is used instead.

How do you determine the empirical formula of a compound?

The empirical formula of a compound can be determined using the percent composition of each element. First, convert the percent composition to grams. Then, divide the grams of each element by its molar mass. Finally, divide the resulting values by the smallest value obtained. The resulting values represent the subscripts in the empirical formula.

What is the difference between empirical and molecular formulas?

The empirical formula represents the simplest whole number ratio of atoms in a compound, while the molecular formula represents the actual number of atoms of each element in a compound. The molecular formula is typically a multiple of the empirical formula. For example, the empirical formula for glucose is CH2O, while the molecular formula is C6H12O6.