Calculate Percentage Error: Ball Down the Ramp Lab

• Thread starter jubbly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Error
In summary, the individual is seeking help with finding the percentage error for a lab experiment where they rolled a ball down a ramp. Their teacher instructed them to use the formula error/accepted value and they have already determined the accepted value. However, they are unsure how to find the error with only their data table of final velocities. The suggested solution is to use the average velocity/accepted value to calculate the percentage error. Additionally, it is suggested to determine if the experiment was measuring acceleration, in which case the experimental value can be compared to the theoretical value to calculate the percentage error.
jubbly
Hey guys, I was wondering how to do a percentage error for this lab experiment I did. It was the ball down the ramp.

My teacher told me to find it I needed to do error/accepted value, so we worked out the accepted value together, but there wasn't enough time to find the error. How would I go and find the error? All I have is my data table with the final velocity of the ball rolling down 2,3, and 4 meters, would i use the average of the velocity/accepted value?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Jubbly!

Finding the % error for error/accepted value is straight forward. Say the accepted value is 50 and the value you found is 45. Then the error is 5 and the % error is 5/50*100 = 10%.

So, you need a single accepted value and your measurement of the same thing. One thing. Were you, perhaps, finding the acceleration in this experiment? If so, you could use your data to find an experimental value of acceleration, and you could use theory to figure out the "correct" value for the acceleration. Then you could do % error for the two numbers.

1. What is percentage error in science?

Percentage error in science is a measure of the discrepancy between an experimental value and an accepted value. It is calculated by taking the absolute value of the difference between the two values and dividing it by the accepted value, then multiplying by 100 to get a percentage. This helps to determine the accuracy of an experiment.

2. How do you calculate percentage error?

To calculate percentage error, you first need to determine the experimental value and the accepted value. Then, subtract the accepted value from the experimental value and take the absolute value of the difference. Divide this value by the accepted value and multiply by 100 to get the percentage error.

3. What is an acceptable percentage error in science experiments?

An acceptable percentage error in science experiments can vary depending on the field of study and the specific experiment being conducted. In general, a percentage error of less than 5% is considered to be a good result and indicates a high level of accuracy in the experiment.

4. How can I reduce percentage error in my experiments?

To reduce percentage error in experiments, it is important to take careful measurements and use precise equipment. It is also helpful to repeat the experiment multiple times and take the average of the results. Checking for any sources of error and making adjustments can also help to reduce percentage error.

5. What are some sources of error that can affect percentage error in experiments?

Sources of error that can affect percentage error in experiments include human error, limitations of equipment, and external factors such as temperature or humidity. It is important to identify and control for these sources of error in order to reduce percentage error and improve the accuracy of the experiment.