1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Percolation threshold

1. Jul 30, 2007 #1
    I have two questions related to statistical physics or particle physics, could somebody help ?If this is not the right place for these questions, please advise.

1 What does 'percolation threshold' means for a system of particles?

2 What is "periodic boundary" in a particulate system? Is it perfect for removing the effect of boundary?

Thanks
    GG

Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2007 #2
    periodic boundary conditions are used in bulk systems when the effects of the boundary are negligible.

I don't know what you mean by perfect. It is of course simply an approximation that, depending on the specific situation, may work well or not so well.

4. Jul 30, 2007 #3
    Norman,

Sorry for using the confusing word 'perfect'. Normally, we wish to study real material behaviour, but under a given boundary it is then hard to say whether the behaviour is caused by the boundary. Therefore, the fundemental character you got/observed from such a system may not be what you want.In case the periodic boundary, such a problem does not exist, but there seems other problems such as how to deal with the corner at the periodic cell (boundary).

Note: the system is one consisting of a lot of particles, or you can imagine the system is one consisting of a lot of moleculars,or you can also imagine the system is a REV (RVE), i.e. representative volume element.

Thanks
    GG

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?