Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Percolation threshold

1. Jul 30, 2007 #1
    I have two questions related to statistical physics or particle physics, could somebody help ?If this is not the right place for these questions, please advise.

1 What does 'percolation threshold' means for a system of particles?

2 What is "periodic boundary" in a particulate system? Is it perfect for removing the effect of boundary?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2007 #2
    periodic boundary conditions are used in bulk systems when the effects of the boundary are negligible.

I don't know what you mean by perfect. It is of course simply an approximation that, depending on the specific situation, may work well or not so well.
  4. Jul 30, 2007 #3

Sorry for using the confusing word 'perfect'. Normally, we wish to study real material behaviour, but under a given boundary it is then hard to say whether the behaviour is caused by the boundary. Therefore, the fundemental character you got/observed from such a system may not be what you want.In case the periodic boundary, such a problem does not exist, but there seems other problems such as how to deal with the corner at the periodic cell (boundary).

Note: the system is one consisting of a lot of particles, or you can imagine the system is one consisting of a lot of moleculars,or you can also imagine the system is a REV (RVE), i.e. representative volume element.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?