Understanding Perfectly Black Bodies

In summary, a perfectly black body is one that absorbs radiation of all wavelengths and reflects none, making it appear black at low temperatures and very bright yellow-orange when heated. When atoms in a substance absorb energy, they must have the corresponding energy levels for an electron to move between them, and a black body absorbs all wavelengths regardless of energy. When heated, a black body will emit thermal and visible light radiation, and it is a hypothetical concept that cannot truly exist. Any object with a temperature above absolute zero will emit radiation, and a black body will emit more radiation when heated until it reaches equilibrium with its surroundings.
EF17xx
Hi! I'm trying to understand a perfectly black body. So the definition I have found is that

a black body is one that absorbs radiation of ALL wavelengths and reflects NONE. Therefore it appears black at low temperatures. And when heated it emits radiation of all wavelengths making it appear very bright yellow orange.

So now I'm trying to understand HOW and WHY.

When atoms of a substance absorb energy for example in the form of radiation, the radiation must have an energy that corresponds to the energy required for an electron to move between its energy levels. Jump to a higher energy level. And if the atom receives energy from radiation of different wavelengths it will reflect the ones that do not have the corresponding energy. In the case of a perfect blackbody this is not the case. It absorbs ALL.
What I don't understand is that when the body is heated, it receives energy (temperature is a measure of kinetic energy of particles) so why would it emit radiation. since when it emits the electrons jump to a LOWER energy level?

Also what makes a black body a black body because wouldn't that mean it consists of all the diffrent elements in the world to be able to absorb energy of all wavelengths and each element has atoms with different energy levels which always have to correspond to the energy that is being targeted at them.And I'm just wondering if someone could give me feedback on my thinking and to what extent it is correct and whether there is any additional information that could help me understand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
A close approximation to a perfect black body is a hot cavity with a small through hole in one wall. The radiant energy inside the cavity is reflected internally with little chance of escape. This is a way to optically measure the temperature of a body. Drill a small hole in the hot body and observe the emitted radiation. The room temperature approximation to a black body is black velvet. The radiation upon black velvet is nearly perfectly absorbed. Don't confuse the electron transitions in gases with solid bodies.

Likes EF17xx
EF17xx said:
What I don't understand is that when the body is heated, it receives energy (temperature is a measure of kinetic energy of particles) so why would it emit radiation. since when it emits the electrons jump to a LOWER energy level?

because it IS HEATED ... it will emit thermal electromagnetic radiation. And if heated enough, it will emit visible light electromagnetic radiation

Yes, that's basically correct what is the problem there ?

EF17xx said:
Also what makes a black body a black body because wouldn't that mean it consists of all the diffrent elements in the world to be able to absorb energy of all wavelengths and each element has atoms with different energy levels which always have to correspond to the energy that is being targeted at them.

you do realize that a "black body" is hypothetical ? ... it cannot really exist

Likes EF17xx
First of all, blackbodies are not absorbing and emitting based on available atomic energy levels.

EF17xx said:
What I don't understand is that when the body is heated, it receives energy (temperature is a measure of kinetic energy of particles) so why would it emit radiation.
Any blackbody emits radiation. When it is heated it emits more radiation. If you have a blackbody in equilibrium with its surroundings and you then heat it up, it will start emitting more radiation to get rid of the excess energy that you added by heating it until it is in equilibrium with the surroundings again. This is in perfect accordance with that heat flows from a warmer system to a colder one.

Likes EF17xx
Actually anybody whose temperature is above zero K emits radiant energy. Whether it is a net receiver or emitter depends on the temperature of its surroundings.

Likes EF17xx
Thank you! I didn't think about the energy equilibrium but knowing that it makes a lot more sense.

1. What is a perfectly black body?

A perfectly black body is an idealized object that absorbs all incoming electromagnetic radiation, regardless of wavelength or angle of incidence. It does not reflect or transmit any light and therefore appears completely black in color. It is an important concept in physics and thermodynamics for understanding the behavior of radiation and heat.

2. How is a perfectly black body different from a regular black object?

A regular black object, such as a black piece of paper, absorbs some but not all of the incoming radiation. It reflects or transmits a portion of the light, which is why we can still see its color. A perfectly black body, on the other hand, absorbs all incoming radiation and does not reflect or transmit any. This means it appears completely black in color, with no visible details or reflections.

3. What is the significance of understanding perfectly black bodies?

Understanding perfectly black bodies is important for several reasons. It helps us understand the behavior of radiation and heat in various materials, and is a key concept in thermodynamics. It also has practical applications, such as in designing solar panels that absorb the maximum amount of sunlight, or in creating materials that can withstand high temperatures without reflecting or emitting heat.

4. Can a perfectly black body exist in reality?

No, a perfectly black body is an idealized concept and does not exist in reality. However, scientists have been able to create materials that come close to behaving like perfectly black bodies in certain conditions. For example, carbon nanotubes have been shown to absorb up to 99.9% of incoming light, making them one of the closest real-world approximations to a perfectly black body.

5. How does the concept of a perfectly black body relate to the color black?

The color black is typically associated with objects that absorb all light and do not reflect any. This is similar to how a perfectly black body behaves, although there are some differences. For example, a black object may absorb all visible light but still reflect infrared or ultraviolet light, whereas a perfectly black body would absorb all types of radiation. Additionally, the color black is a perception of the human eye, whereas a perfectly black body is a theoretical concept based on the laws of physics.