Perfect Numbers: Proving Even Exponents

In summary, a perfect number is a positive integer that is equal to the sum of its proper divisors. To prove a number is perfect, the sum of its proper divisors must be equal to the number itself. It is unknown if there are an infinite number of perfect numbers, but it is believed to be true. Perfect numbers have a connection to even exponents, where the exponent of 2 is one less than a power of 2 in their prime factorization. All known perfect numbers are even, but it has not been proven that odd perfect numbers do not exist.
Fallen Angel
Hi,

Let $n >6$ be a perfect number (A number $n$ is called perfect if $s(n)=2n$ where $s(n)$ is the sum of the divisors of $n$) with prime factorization $n=p_{1}^{e_{1}}p_{2}^{e_{2}}\cdots p_{k}^{e_{k}}$ where $1<p_{1}<p_{2}<\ldots <p_{k}$. Prove that $e_{1}$ is even

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Great challenge! I have a partial solution below, but I am not sure how to extend it to the remaining cases. I might come back to it later.​

Proof for $n$ even:

All even perfect numbers are of the form $n = 2^{p - 1} (2^p - 1)$ whenever $2^p - 1$ is prime by the Euclid-Euler theorem. If $p > 2$, that is, $n > 6$, $p$ must be odd so $2^{p - 1}$ is an even power and the result immediately follows.

Proof for $n$ odd:

If $n$ is odd, then it can be written as $p_1^{e_1} r$ where $p_1$ is the smallest odd prime factor of $n$ and $r$ is an odd number not divisible by $p_1$. Assume $n$ is perfect, then it can be written as:
$$2n = s(r) + p_1 s(r) + \cdots + p_1^{e_1} s(r)$$
This is equivalent to:
$$2n = s(r) \left ( 1 + p_1 + \cdots + p_1^{e_1} \right )$$
Now suppose $r$ is not a square, so that $s(r)$ is even. It follows $n$ can be perfect only if the $1 + p_1 + \cdots + p_1^{e_1}$ term is odd, and it is odd if and only if $e_1$ is even. It remains to check the case for $r$ square, but I don't know how to do that; possibly this is not the right approach.​

Hi Bacterius, good work!

Your idea is good, if yo want a hint, open the next spoiler
From $2n=s(r)(1+p_{1}+p_{1}^{2}+\ldots +p_{1}^{e_{1}})$

Try to determine what happens if $(p+1)$ divides $(1+p_{1}+p_{1}^{2}+\ldots +p_{1}^{e_{1}})$ taking into account that $s(r)=\displaystyle\prod_{i=2}^{k}(1+p_{i}+p_{i}^{2}+\ldots +p_{i}^{e_{i}})$

1. What is a perfect number?

A perfect number is a positive integer that is equal to the sum of its proper divisors (factors except for itself). For example, 6 is a perfect number because its proper divisors are 1, 2, and 3, and 1 + 2 + 3 = 6.

2. How do you prove that a number is perfect?

To prove that a number is perfect, you must show that the sum of its proper divisors is equal to the number itself. This can be done through various methods, such as trial and error or using mathematical formulas.

3. Are there an infinite number of perfect numbers?

As of now, it is unknown if there are an infinite number of perfect numbers. Only 51 perfect numbers have been discovered so far, with the largest one being 2^74,207,281 − 1. However, it is believed that there are an infinite number of perfect numbers, but this has not been proven yet.

4. What is the connection between perfect numbers and even exponents?

All known perfect numbers have a specific pattern in their prime factorization, where the exponent of 2 is one less than a power of 2. For example, the perfect number 6 has a prime factorization of 2^1 * 3^1, and the exponent of 2 is 1, which is one less than 2^1. This pattern has been observed in all known perfect numbers.

5. Can perfect numbers be odd?

No, all known perfect numbers are even. This is because of the specific pattern in their prime factorization mentioned in the previous question. However, it has not been proven that odd perfect numbers do not exist.