Period of a Pendulum (VERY TOUGH differential equation)

In summary, the author is trying to find an equation for the period of a pendulum of a given length, and has started by trying to find an equation for the angular distance the pendulum travels as a function of time. He has found that if he can solve the differential equation, solve the result for t and convert theta to arc length over radius length, he will have solved the problem. However, he does not know how to solve this differential equation in the first place.
Izzhov
I have recently taken an interest in the idea that all pendulums of the same length are isochronous, and am currently trying to figure out an equation for the period of a pendulum of a given length. I started out by trying to find an equation for the angular distance the pendulum travels as a function of time, so I drew some vectors, and this is what it boiled down to:
[tex]\ddot{ \theta} = g \cdot sin( \theta)[/tex]
where theta is angular distance as a function of t (time).
I realize that if I can can solve this differential equation, solve the result for t and convert theta to arc length over radius length, I will have solved the problem, but I have no idea how to solve this differential equation in the first place. Can someone help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Detailled discussions of this topic can be found in many textbooks on classical mechanics.
A lot is also available on the net.
Start with this: http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/Pendulum.html.
Look also on wiki and there: http://tabitha.phas.ubc.ca/wiki/index.php/Hamilton's_Equations .
The conservation of energy is useful to look at.
Look also for a "phase-space" analysis of this system.
Of interrest: the stability of the trajectory near the "x-point", a starting point for studying chaotic motion.

But, of course your choice depends on your background and your own objectives.

Last edited by a moderator:
For a pendulum without air resistance, you can calculate the period exactly for an arbitary amplitude less than [itex]\pi /2[/tex] (after which, the pendulum free falls) from the energy equation

Your equation looks incorrect. Did you draw the FBD of the pendulum properly? Once you get it, to solve the pendulum equation, you might want to try to
a) Make the small angle approximation
b) Make a better approximation with a taylor series, and then solve the DE

Last edited:
You can reduce the problem (through conservation of energy) to what's called an elliptic integral. This leads you to a study of elliptic integrals, and their various limits, which is of some interest.

Another interesting problem is the so-called "inverted pendulum" where you drive its base with a frequency [tex]\omega[/tex]. This leads to all manner of cool behavior, including eventually a stabile fixed point standing straight up!

1. What is the period of a pendulum?

The period of a pendulum is the time it takes for the pendulum to complete one full swing, from left to right and back to left again.

2. How is the period of a pendulum calculated?

The period of a pendulum is calculated using the following formula: T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is commonly used to model physical systems and phenomena.

4. Why is the period of a pendulum described by a differential equation?

The period of a pendulum is described by a differential equation because it involves the relationship between the position, velocity, and acceleration of the pendulum. This relationship can be expressed using a mathematical equation, which is a differential equation.

5. Can the period of a pendulum be affected by other factors besides length and gravity?

Yes, the period of a pendulum can also be affected by factors such as the amplitude of the swing, air resistance, and the mass of the pendulum. However, for small swings, these factors have a negligible effect on the period and can be disregarded in the calculation.