What is the period of orbit for a space station placed 30 000km from the Earth?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the calculation of the period of a space station's orbit around the Earth. The questioner is unsure about which equation to use and how the radius of 30,000km factors into the calculation. The respondent suggests using T=2pi and clarifies that the radius of the Earth should be replaced with the radius of the station's orbit. There is also a side note about the correct use of the phrase "hedge your bets."
gemini2904

Homework Statement

A space station is placed in an orbit of radius 30 000km. What is the period of the station's orbit around the Earth?

(I previously worked out the period of rotation of the space station as 22 secs but I didn't think it was relevant to this part of the question besides it's probably wrong anyway! For that question the wheel shaped station, with radius 20m, rotating around a central hub. astronaunt standing on rim head facing forward , feels force on feet, to stimulate 1/6 of the magnitude of gravity on earth)?

2. Homework Equations

I was looking to use T = 2pi

but Instead of Rearth do I need to use the radius 30 000? Or have I got the wrong equation again??

Many thanks,

Claire

3. The Attempt at a Solution

T = 6 mins edit; opps i mean 84mins I don't understand how the radius of 30000 fits in, should I take it as distance?
1. Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh right sorry - I didn't realize, I just wanted to edge my bets!

Actually, you "hedge" your bets. But double posting is not the way to do it.

Thank's for clearing that up, Dick!

1. What is the period of orbit around Earth?

The period of orbit around Earth refers to the time it takes for an object to complete one full revolution around the Earth. This can vary depending on the object's distance from the Earth and its speed.

2. How is the period of orbit around Earth calculated?

The period of orbit around Earth is calculated using Kepler's Third Law, which states that the square of the orbital period (in seconds) is equal to the cube of the semi-major axis (in meters) of the orbit. This formula can be used for any object orbiting around Earth, including satellites, spacecraft, and the Moon.

3. What factors affect the period of orbit around Earth?

The period of orbit around Earth can be affected by the mass and distance of the object, as well as the gravitational pull of other celestial bodies such as the Sun and Moon. The shape of the orbit can also impact the period, as a more elliptical orbit will have a longer period than a circular orbit.

4. How long is the period of orbit around Earth for different objects?

The period of orbit around Earth can vary greatly depending on the object. For example, the International Space Station takes about 90 minutes to complete one orbit, while the Moon takes about 27 days to complete one orbit. Artificial satellites can have periods ranging from 90 minutes to several hours, depending on their altitude and intended purpose.

5. Can the period of orbit around Earth change?

Yes, the period of orbit around Earth can change over time due to various factors. For example, the gravitational pull of the Moon and Sun can cause slight changes in the orbit of Earth, which can affect the period of other objects orbiting around it. Artificial satellites may also have their orbits adjusted to maintain their desired period for specific missions.