Permutation and combination question

Similarly, if you use your second or second-to-last slot, you're left with 4 spaces between statistics questions for which you have 4 questions left. Thus, the only way to satisfy the restriction is to use the middle slot, which leaves 3 spaces between statistics questions for which you have 5 questions left. Therefore, the total number of arrangements is 5!x6!x3.In summary, there are two approaches to arranging 11 questions in a random order, where pure math questions must be separated from each other by exactly one statistics question. The first approach involves arranging the pure math questions first and then slotting in the statistics questions, resulting in 5!x6! total arrangements. The second approach involves arranging
gaobo9109

Homework Statement

A test consists of 5 pure math questions A, B, C, D, E and 6 statistics question F, G, H, I, J, K.
The examiners want to arrange all eleven questions in a random order such that a pure math question must be separated from another with exactly one statistics question

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The first approach I use:

Arrange the pure math questions, in which there are 5! ways, then use the "slotting method" to slot in the Statistics question. Since there are six spaces, number of ways of slotting statistics question is 6! Hence total number of arrangement is 5!x6!

The second approach I use
Arrange the statistic questions first, in which there are 6! ways. Then slot in the pure math questions. Since pure math questions must be separated by exactly one statistic question. The number of ways of slotting is 5!x3. hence total number of arrangement is 5!x6!x3

Why is there such discrepancy?

Physics news on Phys.org
where does the x3 come from?

When I arrange the six statistics questions, there will be 7 spaces to slot in the 5 pure maths questions. Since there is the restriction that pure math question must be followed by exactly one statistics question, there are three ways to arrange 5 questions in these 7 free spaces. If there is no restriction, the number of ways of arranging pure math questions would be 7p5

I'm afraid there's only 5 spaces to slot in 5 pure math questions.
If you use your first or last slot, you're left with 5 spaces between statistics questions for which you have only 4 questions left.

1. What is the difference between permutation and combination?

Permutation refers to the arrangement of objects or elements in a specific order, while combination refers to the selection of objects or elements without considering the order. In simpler terms, permutation deals with ordering while combination deals with selection.

2. How do I know when to use permutation or combination in a problem?

If the problem involves arranging or ordering objects or elements, then permutation should be used. If the problem involves selecting a group of objects or elements without considering the order, then combination should be used.

3. What is the formula for calculating permutations?

The formula for calculating permutations is n!/(n-r)! where n is the total number of objects or elements and r is the number of objects or elements to be arranged or ordered.

4. Can permutations and combinations be applied in real life situations?

Yes, permutations and combinations are used in various fields such as statistics, genetics, and computer science. For example, in genetics, permutations and combinations are used to calculate the probability of inheriting certain traits from parents.

5. How can I improve my understanding of permutations and combinations?

To improve your understanding, you can practice solving different types of problems and familiarize yourself with the formulas and concepts. You can also seek help from a tutor or join a study group to discuss and learn from others.