Permutation of members in a committee

In summary, in order to form a committee of 3 members with at least one boy, there are 25 ways to do so by first choosing 1 boy out of 2 and then choosing 2 members out of 6 (5 girls and 1 remaining boy). However, when counting the number of ways, the cases where both boys are chosen must be subtracted, resulting in a total of 25 possible ways.
ritwik06

Homework Statement

There are 5 girls and 2 boys. A committee of 3 members is to be formed such that there is at least one boy in the committee. Find the number of ways of doing so.

The Attempt at a Solution

One place is fixed for a boy. So choosing one boy out of 2: 2C1
I am left with 2 places and 6(5 girls+1 boy left) people to choose from, therefore number of ways = 6C2
Total ways= 6C2 *2C1
=30

But my book gives me the answer 25. What is wrong with my solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
You choose either 1 boy or 2 boys. Split the cases up.

you are counting the same case twice. Consider i choose boy A first(in the 2C1 way), and then while choosing two from the other 6 i choose boy B, and a girl.

In another way, i can choose boy B first, and then A and a girl. they both give the same selection, but you are counting both.

Subtract from your answer all those cases in which both boys are there. does it give you your answer??

Dick said:
You choose either 1 boy or 2 boys. Split the cases up.

praharmitra said:
you are counting the same case twice. Consider i choose boy A first(in the 2C1 way), and then while choosing two from the other 6 i choose boy B, and a girl.

In another way, i can choose boy B first, and then A and a girl. they both give the same selection, but you are counting both.

Subtract from your answer all those cases in which both boys are there. does it give you your answer??

Thank you very much. I now understand my folly.

Related to Permutation of members in a committee

1. What is a permutation of members in a committee?

A permutation of members in a committee refers to the different ways in which the members of a committee can be arranged or ordered.

2. How many permutations are possible in a committee with n members?

The number of permutations in a committee with n members is n!, which is equal to n factorial. For example, if a committee has 5 members, the number of possible permutations is 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 120.

3. Does the order of members in a committee affect its functionality?

In most cases, the order of members in a committee does not affect its functionality. However, in some cases, the order may have an impact on decision-making or group dynamics.

4. How is a permutation different from a combination?

A permutation involves arranging or ordering a set of items, while a combination involves selecting a subset of items without considering the order in which they are chosen.

5. How can permutations be used in real-life scenarios?

Permutations can be used in various real-life scenarios, such as creating schedules for events, assigning seating arrangements, and forming teams or committees. They can also be used in probability and statistics to calculate the number of possible outcomes.