Perpendicular Forces and Change in Momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a force perpendicular to momentum and its effect on the magnitude and direction of momentum. The question is raised as to why a perpendicular force only changes the direction of momentum and not the magnitude. The explanation is that velocity is a vector with both magnitude and direction, and a change in direction does not necessarily result in a change in magnitude. The example of an object moving in a curved path and being acted on by a perpendicular force is given to illustrate this concept.
Jacob959
Okay, I feel like I am just missing something that should be very easy to see, but I can't seem to wrap my head around this concept. Can anyone explain to me why a force perpendicular to the momentum only changes the direction of the momentum and not the magnitude?

By my logic, if Fnet=Δp/Δt, and thus, Δt*Fnet = mΔv, then shouldn't the perpendicular force change the velocity of object in the direction perpendicular to the current direction of momentum? And because the velocity changes in the new direction, wouldn't the magnitude of the momentum change since the magnitude of the velocity changed?

Hopefully you can follow my logic and see where it is flawed! Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that velocity is a vector, and as such, it has magnitude and direction. If its direction changes, its magnitude does not necessarily change. A change in its direction results in a change in its velocity, even if its magnitude does not change. An object with momentum moving in a curved path must be acted on by a force perpendicular to the momentum vector, which does not change its speed. Hint: motion in a circle.

What is a perpendicular force?

A perpendicular force is a force that acts at a 90 degree angle to the surface or direction of motion of an object.

How does a perpendicular force affect the change in momentum of an object?

A perpendicular force can cause a change in the direction of an object's momentum, but not its magnitude. This means that the object will continue to move at the same speed, but in a different direction.

What is the relationship between perpendicular forces and angular momentum?

Perpendicular forces can cause a change in the angular momentum of an object, which is the momentum of an object rotating around an axis. The direction of the angular momentum will change in the same direction as the perpendicular force.

How do you calculate the change in momentum caused by a perpendicular force?

The change in momentum caused by a perpendicular force can be calculated using the formula Δp = F⊥ x Δt, where F⊥ is the magnitude of the perpendicular force and Δt is the time interval over which the force acts.

What are some real-world examples of perpendicular forces causing a change in momentum?

A common example is a car turning a corner, where the perpendicular force of friction between the tires and the road causes a change in the car's direction. Another example is a baseball player hitting a ball with a bat, where the perpendicular force of the bat causes the ball to change direction and continue moving in a new direction.