How Does a Former Probation Deputy's Interest in Science Shape His Retirement?

• Thread starter Alex Ford
  • Start date
In summary, a personal introduction is a brief statement that introduces yourself to others. It typically includes your name, background, interests, and any other relevant information. A personal introduction is often used in professional settings, such as job interviews or networking events, but can also be used in casual situations to help others get to know you better. It is important to keep a personal introduction concise and engaging, as it can make a lasting first impression on others.
Alex Ford
How did you find PF?
I found PF via an internet search with regard to asking questions about Black Holes. The PF came up and I read some entries and posted one.
This initial introduction is placed as suggested by the site moderators when I received my first email.

I am a 74.5 year old male with grade school, Junior High School, High School, Junior College, College and Graduate school completions. I have a social science Masters Degree in Correctional Counseling. I've been married twice and have three children. I had a 36 year, 9 months career as a Probation Deputy in Los Angeles.

Retired, one of my hobbies is studying various sciences in an attempt to add to my knowledge of science in general ways. My difficulties with numbers began with their introduction to me in grammar school. I took some arithmetic and beginning algebra and plain geometry but dropped out from any further classes concerning numbers. Numbers and anything to do with them are not my friend.

I look at anything I study from whatever my mind can understand and put a general logical and sequential method of organization to it, as I can contain in my brain. I also have difficulty retaining the names of things. I've gotten through life generally by "sticking to," things to sort of avoid failure if possible and to attempt a degree of success if possible.

My father also was fascinated with astronomy, but had no particular education in it as he was a history/political science major. Thus far, the Event Horizon Telescope and the recent images it has been responsible for producing with it's scientists/astronomers is one of the most fascinating things I've seen and read because I'm also an amateur photographer. The idea of a lens diameter the size of the Earth is fascinating to me. What a concept and what control over the germane variables in order to create an accurate photo of the accretion disk and the event horizon, is what has impressed me most.

This is not to say that I'm unimpressed with the tens of thousands of experiments and instruments developed and completed in addition to the EHT. This one currently excites me the most. Alex Ford

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome, Alex! :smile:

I sincerely admire your hobby of studying various sciences despite your difficulties with numbers.
I don't like numbers much myself, to me, they are just another imaginary tool to help us understanding the real world.
Best

Alex Ford said:
I had a 36 year, 9 months career as a Probation Deputy in Los Angeles.
Wow, thank you for your service. That's rough duty.

Welcome to the PF. Please be sure to read the PF rules -- it's best to post links to mainstream science when starting new threads in the technical forums.

Thanks again for your service.