Perturbation Theory: 2D Harmonic Oscillator & Energy Levels

Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem related to perturbation theory and eigenstates of the 2D harmonic oscillator potential. Part b of question 1 asks for the first and second-order energy shifts to be compared to the series expansion of the exact energy level of the ground state in powers of \lambda. Part 2 involves using the given equation to calculate the new energy levels according to first-order perturbation theory, taking into account the different eigenvalues for each state.
ZoroP

Homework Statement

1. Considered the 2D harmonic oscillator potential,
V(x,y) = [tex]m\omega^{2}[/tex][tex]x^{2}/2[/tex]+[tex]m\omega^{2}[/tex][tex]y^{2}/2+ \lambda xy[/tex]
and showed that the energy eigenvalues could be found exactly. Now, treat this as a perturbation theory problem with perturbing Hamiltonian, [tex]H^{'}=\lambda xy[/tex]
a) Find the first and second-order shifts in the energy of the ground state.
b) Series expand the exact energy level of the ground state in powers of [tex]\lambda[/tex] and show that the first and second order terms agree with your calculations from part a)

2. In a 2-D state space, the eigenstates of the Hamiltonian, [tex]H^{0} are [/tex]
[tex]\phi_{1} and \phi_{2}[/tex] with eigenvalues [tex]E_{1} and E_{2}[/tex] respectively. Now each of these states are subject to the perturbation: [tex]H^{'}[/tex]

If [tex]E_{1} \neq E_{2}[/tex], what are the new energy levels according to first-order perturbation theory?

Homework Equations

([tex]H^{0}[/tex]+[tex]\lambda H^{'}[/tex])([tex]\phi_{1}[/tex]+[tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]\phi_{2}[/tex]) = ([tex]E_{1}[/tex]+[tex]\lambda E_{2}[/tex])([tex]\phi_{1}[/tex]+[tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]\phi_{2}[/tex])

The Attempt at a Solution

For 1. part b, i don't know what this question asks me to do. We can use the formulas for part a, so does part b ask us to derive the formula from the beginning with H' ? I get the solution for part a, such as E1=0 and E2=-P*(2n+1) where P is some constant. I don't know whether they are right or not.

For 2. do we start with the equation above?

Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear fellow scientist,

Thank you for your forum post. It seems like you are working on a problem related to perturbation theory and eigenstates of the 2D harmonic oscillator potential. I would be happy to help you with your questions.

For part b of question 1, it seems like you are being asked to show that the first and second-order energy shifts you calculated in part a agree with the series expansion of the exact energy level of the ground state in powers of \lambda. To do this, you can start with the formula you provided in your "Homework Equations" section and use it to expand the energy level in powers of \lambda. Then, compare the coefficients of the first and second-order terms with the ones you calculated in part a to show that they are the same.

As for your solution for part a, I am not able to confirm whether it is correct without seeing your calculations. However, it seems like you have the right approach and I encourage you to double-check your calculations to make sure they are accurate.

For part 2, yes, you can start with the equation you provided and use it to calculate the new energy levels according to first-order perturbation theory. Remember that in this case, the eigenvalues E_{1} and E_{2} are different, so you will have to use different equations for each state.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions or if you would like me to clarify anything. Good luck with your calculations!

What is perturbation theory?

Perturbation theory is a mathematical method used in physics and other sciences to study systems that are slightly different from simple, idealized models. It allows us to make approximations and calculate the behavior of a system by taking into account small changes or disturbances to the system.

How does perturbation theory apply to the 2D harmonic oscillator?

In the 2D harmonic oscillator, perturbation theory is used to analyze how small changes in the system affect the energy levels and behavior of the oscillator. This is done by treating the perturbations as "small" compared to the overall system and using mathematical techniques to approximate the changes in the energy levels.

What is the significance of energy levels in perturbation theory?

Energy levels are important in perturbation theory because they represent the different possible states of a system. By calculating the changes in energy levels due to perturbations, we can understand how the system will behave and how it will respond to external influences.

How is the 2D harmonic oscillator used in perturbation theory?

The 2D harmonic oscillator is a common example used in perturbation theory because it is a simple, solvable system with known energy levels. By studying how perturbations affect the energy levels of the oscillator, we can gain insights into more complex systems that cannot be solved analytically.

What are some limitations of perturbation theory?

Some limitations of perturbation theory include the assumption that perturbations are small and that they do not affect the overall behavior of the system too significantly. It also relies on the availability of known energy levels, which may not always be possible for complex systems. Additionally, perturbation theory may not accurately predict the behavior of a system when perturbations are large or when the system is highly nonlinear.