PF Costs: What are the Server & Maintenance Expenses?

• Thread starter lekh2003
  • Start date
In summary: Oh, I just realized how many times I've been summoned in this thread! :uhh: :tongue2:In summary, maintaining a forum like PF can be costly and involves a lot of effort. The server space needed for PF is about 25GB and the server itself accounts for only half of the costs. The rest go towards administrative, marketing, and maintenance tasks. While some work may be contracted out, a lot of it is done by the forum owner themselves. PF relies on unpaid volunteers to act as mentors, who work hard to maintain a clean and peaceful atmosphere for discussions.
lekh2003 said:
So the exorbitant size makes sense. Regardless, 25 GB is quite a lot for text and the occasional media. A single image might just be a few hundred kilobytes. There's a lot of PF.
We have about 200k images and pdfs.

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
We have about 200k images and pdfs.
Oh wow. I underestimated the amount of media. The more you know the better.

lekh2003 said:
So the exorbitant size makes sense.
The figure is hardly "exorbitant" for a site this size. It seems perfectly reasonable to me.

phinds said:
The figure is hardly "exorbitant" for a site this size. It seems perfectly reasonable to me.
I initially thought that it was all text, I was corrected. It seems reasonable now.

jedishrfu said:
No its more like Ben Hur:

Great scene from a great movie. I wondered how they provided resistance for the oars to make the rowing realistic. Google knows.

"the rowing scene in ben hur how did they provide resistance to the oars to make it look real"

https://www.google.com/search?q=the...9i57j69i64.29783j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

First link,

"
  • When it came time to film inside the boat, it was discovered that the large 65mm cameras wouldn't fit. The boat had to be taken out of the pond, cut in half lengthwise, and placed in an Italian sound stage. The oars wouldn't fit in the soundstage, so they had to cut them off just beyond the hull. This resulted in an extremely light oars which, when rowed by the actors, didn't look believable, since you could move them with one hand. To solve the problem, Zambuto sent an army of production assistants to all of the hardware stores in Rome to buy the kind of spring-and-hydraulic piston mechanisms that are normally attached to doors to force them closed but to keep them from slamming. Placing these devices on the oars and the hull gave enough resistance to make the rowing scenes look realistic. ..."

Likes jedishrfu