PF is on IRC!

Evo

Mentor
Cookiemonster, most residential internet accounts have dynamic IP addresses, so it's not an issue anyway. ISP's don't normally assign static IP addresses because it ties up their allocation.

What is this? Don't make requests or get flamed week?

cookiemonster

ISP's also don't want to encourage people to run servers which is why they assign dynamic IP's. However, I'm on high speed and mine hasn't changed so from experience they're usually static as opposed to dynamic. Unless you're using AOL or dial-up then your IP would change.

Evo

Mentor
The_Professional said:
ISP's also don't want to encourage people to run servers which is why they assign dynamic IP's. However, I'm on high speed and mine hasn't changed so from experience they're usually static as opposed to dynamic. Unless you're using AOL or dial-up then your IP would change.
Your IP address will change anytime you reconnect when it is dynamic. As long as you remain connected, your IP address will remain the same. With DSL, you seldom reconnect which is the reason you haven't noticed it changing, but it is not static. An ISP will assign a static IP address if you are hosting a server, but you will most likely need a business class account. You just need to request a static IP address.

Evo, I'm on cable and I turn my computer on and off and my IP hasn't changed ever since

I'm also on cable but with a router, so even when I did turn off my computer my modem and router would keep the connection alive and my IP only changed once a month. But nowadays I have a static one from the ISP anyway.

Evo

Mentor
The_Professional said:
Evo, I'm on cable and I turn my computer on and off and my IP hasn't changed ever since
Then you would have a static IP address.

Evo, that's what I've been saying all along :smile:

Evo

Mentor
The_Professional said:
Evo, that's what I've been saying all along :smile:
Sorry, I must've missed where you said that.

But back to what I was saying, most residential accounts (dial up & DSL) have dynamic IP addresses, so fearing someone getting your IP address is nothing to worry about because you can simply log off & log back on and your IP address will have changed. Obviously if you have a static IP address, this doesn't apply to you. :smile:

security would be nice, but then again i'm using windows, so i guess it doesn't really matter. This is really great, thanks greg

Last edited:
Cookiemonster, most residential internet accounts have dynamic IP addresses, so it's not an issue anyway. ISP's don't normally assign static IP addresses because it ties up their allocation.
Cable users do not have IP addresses that change.

They don't show our IP addresses when we post on forums.

Nobody has given a reason why IP masking shouldn't take place. Is it hard to do this?

security would be nice, but then again i'm using windows, so i guess it doesn't really matter.
Yes. Yes. Because you are using Windows, security is no longer important. You have been exposed to every evil person out there.

Because you are using Windows.

Security is non-existent in your life now.

:rolleyes:

You guys are retarded. Are you afraid to give you street address to people for fear you're going to get burglarized?
Yes Dr. Nick. Because we want safety, we are retarded.

Last edited:

Monique

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dagenais said:
Nobody has given a reason why IP masking shouldn't take place. Is it hard to do this?
Infact Dagenais, you can do it yourself:
When you open the chat window, type
/nickserv help
you can register your nickname there and you will find that you should be able to hide your IP, see below:

-NickServ- The IPHIDE option, when enabled will attempt to hide
-NickServ- your hostaddress from other users by setting your usermode
-NickServ- +m and causing services to reveal only disguised information.
-NickServ-
-NickServ- This option is to provided only to attempt to bolster security,
-NickServ- *NOT* as an aid to abuse, your actual hostname is only protected
-NickServ- in a weak manner.
-NickServ-
-NickServ- The +m usermode which can be set at any time by you with
-NickServ- /mode <yournick> +m applies similar protection at the
-NickServ- IRC level, causing /whois, etc to show only masked data.
-NickServ-
-NickServ- The obvious benefit of a masked host is some small degree
-NickServ- of protection against some 'nuking', some 'hacking', and some
-NickServ- ip-based denial of service attacks.
-NickServ-
-NickServ- EXAMPLES:
-NickServ- To turn NickServ hiding/masking on: /NickServ set iphide on
-NickServ- To turn NickServ hiding/masking off: /NickServ set iphide off

At the end of the day, if you really want to secure your computer you should protect it from the inside, by installing security-oriented software. If you protect your copmuter properly, it would not matter if someone got your IP and how. I would hardly call your IP address private anyway, considering the fact that it is disclosed every time you connect to a service or load a web page.