PF Mentors are really great people

• Thread starter Andy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about mentors on Physics Forums and how they are chosen. The original poster expresses admiration for mentors and asks what the requirements are to become one. A list of requirements is given, which includes having deep knowledge in a specific topic, being dedicated to helping others, and displaying a positive attitude. The conversation also includes a trivia question about the first mentor on the forum and the length of time each mentor has been a member. It is revealed that the original poster, Dduardo, was actually the first mentor and was brought on board within the first month of the forum's creation. The topic then shifts to who the first mentor was, with Monique being the first to join, followed by Phobos. The conversation
#24601 eh? id have to change my name to Jean Valjean (ignore spelling!). Can anyone guess what i was called on the other pf...i don't think i can remember it...Andy might... i think it was something to do with a farmyard animal (thats a hint aint it? :smile:)

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Monique
I became a member on feb 8 2001 the second one of allll the members! (Phobos became a member on the 9th btw)

And an interesting time it was...more like the wild frontier than the current well-oiled machine that PF has become. I have Monique (Niqqie) to thank for introducing me to this place. It's amazing to see how much this place has grown since its beginning. We should write some kind of PF biography.

Anyone remember some of the other past mentors not shown in Greg's list?

MacCoder of course :), Ben is the first name that comes to mind

don't forget typeo (stephen), i think he was voted as PF clown once and caused some havoc...then eventually became a mentor...

Jimmy p was alpha goat, but what was my origional name?

wasnt your original name Andy? lol or Brahman or something

Formal job descriptions next, and interviews?

What's a PF Advisor? Why do we have them?

Is there a graph anywhere of the growth in member numbers vs time? What sort of simple analytic curve would fit it well?

Maybe Moni doesn't have to wait so long!

Originally posted by Nereid
What's a PF Advisor? Why do we have them?

As once explained by the honorable member FZ+...
"As far as I am aware, a mentor is a government post, controlling one province of the land, of PF whilst an advisorship is a knighthood, giving no special powers but as an honorary postion."

PF Advisors are those members who have shown themselves to be a great asset to PF and who are entrusted to help make this a better place for all. They can see behind the curtain but don't get into all the administrative stuff that the mentors do (like moving/locking topics, etc.). In a sense, they are mentors without the "nuke post" button on their keyboard.

Originally posted by Phobos
And an interesting time it was...more like the wild frontier than the current well-oiled machine that PF has become. I have Monique (Niqqie) to thank for introducing me to this place. It's amazing to see how much this place has grown since its beginning. We should write some kind of PF biography.

Anyone remember some of the other past mentors not shown in Greg's list?

Wasn't Scandium a Mentor once? I wan't here for much of PF1, and I wasn't an active participant (as in, when I actually started posting) until about the middle of PF2 (maybe closer to the end, I'm not really sure), but I do remember Scandium mentioning something about having been a Mentor (I think).

Some past mentors:

Grady, Silverquest, Dav2008, Feztaa, Corey, Powers of light, BryanGmyrek (already mentioned: typeo007 and Maccoder)

Grady, Silverquest, Dav2008, Feztaa, Corey, Powers of light, BryanGmyrek (already mentioned: typeo007 and Maccoder)
Corey? That's my name! You know, like my non-PF real person name. Cool, I have the same name as one of the Tyrants!

Originally posted by photon
Corey? That's my name! You know, like my non-PF real person name. Cool, I have the same name as one of the Tyrants!

That's Mr. Tyrant to you.

Originally posted by Andy
Arent Mentors Brilliant! I mean they're just great, I love mentors.

Candidate for PF mascot? :wink:

Originally posted by Mentat
Wasn't Scandium a Mentor once?

IIRC, he was briefly the Physics mentor.