What Are Some Ideas for Custom Graphics on Physics Forums?

• Thread starter Mattara
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphics
In summary, the conversation is discussing the possibility of adding custom graphics such as userbars, signatures, affiliates banners, and avatars to the Physics Forums website to promote the site elsewhere. Some members express concerns about clutter and distractions, while others suggest using these graphics in moderation. The conversation also mentions the potential for attracting crackpots and the idea of advertising the site personally to interested individuals. One member also humorously suggests adding flashy features like gold rims, spinners, and hydraulics to the site. Another member shares a link to a comical version of the Physics Forums website with exaggerated graphics. Overall, there is a mix of interest and hesitation towards the idea of adding custom graphics to the site.
Mattara
I think PF needs some custom graphics! Userbars, signatures, affiliates banner, avatars etc. anyone here skilled with gfx?

Also, does anyone got any suggestions on how these graphics would look like?

C'mon people, let's brainstorm for PF :P

Physics news on Phys.org
It already has it...

They don't have:

Mattara said:
Userbars, signatures, affiliates banner, avatars

My picture is an avtar. My signature is below. You have to pay to get them. Those medals and mentor badges cost the most.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Those medals and mentor badges cost the most.
:grumpy: They're not for sale. :devil:

<Slips Evo a $100 bill>

Right, there not for sale, wink wink.

cyrusabdollahi said:
<Slips Evo a $100 bill>

Right, there not for sale, wink wink.
Thanks cyrus, that's monthly, you know.

What can I get for A $ 1 millon/per month?

You can change your name to Greg Bernhardt for 5 hours per day

jimmy p said:
You can change your name to Greg Bernhardt for 5 hours per day

Not bad. I feel so tempted.

Not specificly userbars/avatars/sginature gerafics for PF but userbars/avatars/signatures you could use elsewhere. Isn't anyone interested in the idea?

This board needs very little of that crap. It's nice and uncluttered and easy to read. We don't need all of these little add on things for the ADD generation. Simple=good. Simple=loads faster. Simple=easier to manage.

Check my above post. SOMEWHERE ELSE. Using the userbars, avatars, signatures somewhere else (to promote etc.)

Mattara said:
Check my above post. SOMEWHERE ELSE. Using the userbars, avatars, signatures somewhere else (to promote etc.)
I think there were PF t-shirts. I'd like a PF sweatshirt and coffee mug.

Mattara said:

I don't even know what you're talking about now.

I think he means using avatars, signatures, and stuff in other forums to advertise PF.

yomamma said:
I think he means using avatars, signatures, and stuff in other forums to advertise PF.

I never visit other forums. :biggrin:

I wouldn't recommend advertising anywhere. That leads to crackpots coming here to try and "convert" us with their crazy theories. The best thing to do in my opinion when you notice someone interesting/well-rounded/bright is to private message them and let them know about the site personally.

Sure we should tell the world because this site is great and we are here to share knowledge with the world. It's just that crackpots are fairly common at other websites, and I think we should avoid them.

PF is a big site with >800,000 posts and >30,000 users. The crackpots wouldn't stand a chance. So I take it that no one is interested in PF userbar/avatar/signature gfx?

I don't post anywhere else that allows me to have an avatar or signature. Most sites that allow those get so carried away with them that I don't stick around because I can't figure out what's post, what's signature, what's an ad, etc...there'll be one sentence of text in a post, then a full page of graphics and poetry and who knows what that people put in their signatures...it's too tedious to bother reading.

I still haven't figured out what a userbar even is. :redface:

this site needs some new low-profile rims, solid gold, or maybe diamond. Then maybe some spinners and ground effects lighting. Thats just for starters, then we got to add some hydraulics and customized license plates...

Jonny_trigonometry said:
this site needs some new low-profile rims, solid gold, or maybe diamond. Then maybe some spinners and ground effects lighting. Thats just for starters, then we got to add some hydraulics and customized license plates...
Hey, its already got it: http://sites.gizoogle.com/index2.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fphysicsforums.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D114607
:biggrin: :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What types of custom graphics does PF need?

The types of custom graphics that PF may need depend on its specific needs and goals. This can include logos, illustrations, infographics, charts and graphs, animations, and more.

2. What is the process for creating custom graphics for PF?

The process for creating custom graphics for PF typically involves first discussing the specific needs and goals with the client. Then, the graphic designer will create mock-ups or sketches for the client to review and provide feedback on. Once the design is finalized, the graphic will be created using software such as Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator.

3. How long does it take to create custom graphics for PF?

The timeline for creating custom graphics for PF can vary depending on the complexity of the project and the availability of the designer. Generally, it can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks to create custom graphics.

4. Can PF use stock images instead of custom graphics?

Yes, PF can use stock images instead of custom graphics. However, stock images may not accurately reflect the branding or message of PF. Custom graphics can be tailored specifically for PF's needs and can better convey their unique identity.

5. How can custom graphics benefit PF?

Custom graphics can benefit PF in many ways. They can help grab the attention of potential customers, enhance the visual appeal of their brand, and convey complex information in a more visually appealing and easy-to-understand way. Custom graphics can also help differentiate PF from their competitors and leave a lasting impression on their audience.