Photo Contest - Born Wild (10/27-11/2)

In summary, the conversation was about the speaker's expertise in summarizing content. The speaker does not engage in conversation, but rather provides summaries of the content. The instruction is to write a summary for this conversation without any additional information before it.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Born Wild

The subject of our theme this week are on animals that are considered to be wild. These animals may be in captivity, such as in zoos, but they must be what we all consider to be wild, i.e. no domestic cats or dogs or hamsters, etc. In cases where animals that are often considered to be wild but were domesticated, such as someone having a pet snake, for example, your photo must not be of the domesticated animal. So the photo of the pet snake does not qualify, but a photo of a snake in a zoo or out in the wild does.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how. Alternatively, you may simply upload your image file to PF, and then have the full image displayed in your post.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
This little fella offered to punch me in the face if I didn't leave him alone.

upload_2018-10-27_11-10-54.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-27_11-10-54.png
    upload_2018-10-27_11-10-54.png
    179.2 KB · Views: 702
Likes Asymptotic, pinball1970, kuruman and 7 others
phinds said:
Very cool photo of an animal I personally like very much!

Likes AlexCaledin
Some dogs like them too.

Likes Rubidium_71 and DennisN
This was a fella I met by accident in a park in my hometown a couple of years ago. He/she was remarkably courageous and/or I was remarkably careful, since I was less than two meters away when I took the photo. Hedgehogs are quite easily scared which make them curl into small balls, and this didn't.

31711158328_fb5f876d8c_c.jpg

Attachments

• 31711158328_fb5f876d8c_c.jpg
    31711158328_fb5f876d8c_c.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 478
Likes fresh_42, Rubidium_71, jtbell and 3 others
DennisN said:
This was a fella I met by accident in a park in my hometown a couple of years ago. He/she was remarkably courageous and/or I was remarkably careful, since I was less than two meters away when I took the photo. Hedgehogs are quite easily scared which make them curl into small balls, and this didn't.

That would have qualified for the "Make A Point" contest as well.

Zz.

Likes AlexCaledin and DennisN
23_bison_road.JPG

Attachments

• 23_bison_road.JPG
    23_bison_road.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 462
Likes Rubidium_71, jtbell, davenn and 3 others
A tiny salamander I found in my back yard.
salamander.jpg

Its toes are the width of one of my fingerprint ridges!

Attachments

• salamander.jpg
    salamander.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 490
Likes fresh_42, pinball1970, Rubidium_71 and 4 others
BillTre said:
A tiny salamander I found in my back yard.
Beautiful!

Likes AlexCaledin
The Sun looks hexagonal in this wild eye!
45e4bd39_o.jpg

Attachments

• 45e4bd39_o.jpg
    45e4bd39_o.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 473
Likes fresh_42, kuruman, Rubidium_71 and 6 others
Great topic this time!

Taken in Manas Wild Life Sanctuary, India:

P1050284.JPG

Read the full travelogue here.

Also pardon the small watermark. Had to put it before uploading to the above linked website.

Attachments

• P1050284.JPG
    P1050284.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 454
Likes pinball1970, jtbell, davenn and 3 others
IMGP7123sm.jpg

Attachments

• IMGP7123sm.jpg
    IMGP7123sm.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 467
Likes morrobay, Rubidium_71, jtbell and 3 others

Attachments

• wild.jpg
    wild.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 414
Likes fresh_42, kuruman, Wrichik Basu and 3 others
jtbell said:
From my visit to French Lick, Indiana, on my rust belt road trip redux last August.

Very nice ...
some years back, my wife and I were driving out of the mountains in Idaho and down into Montana when 4 or 5 deer came out of the tree line and onto the road in front of us ... a wonderful sight to see :smile:Dave

Likes AlexCaledin
Out our back door... :smile:

Bigger Forked Horn Fixed.jpg

Attachments

• Bigger Forked Horn Fixed.jpg
    Bigger Forked Horn Fixed.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 403
Likes pinball1970, BillTre, davenn and 4 others
Mountain goat in Colorado
Goat - 1.jpg

Attachments

• Goat - 1.jpg
    Goat - 1.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 371
Likes AlexCaledin, BillTre, davenn and 2 others
davenn said:
Very nice ...
some years back, my wife and I were driving out of the mountains in Idaho and down into Montana when 4 or 5 deer came out of the tree line and onto the road in front of us ... a wonderful sight to see :smile:

That brings back one memory. In Manas WLS, you are required to take your own tour guides. Our guide was very experienced. One night, he took us out into the forest, and we stayed there for about half an hour, with engine switched off. In the moonlight, we could see a large number of eyes staring at us. It was a quite fearful sight, because we didn't know what they were. Manas has few black panthers, and we were afraid that we were being watched by at least one. Later we learned that they were mostly deers and wild buffaloes staring at us.

Likes davenn
IMG_20181029_123201 (1).jpg

Naklua (live) fish market

Attachments

• IMG_20181029_123201 (1).jpg
    IMG_20181029_123201 (1).jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 332
marzena_born_wild.jpg

Attachments

• marzena_born_wild.jpg
    marzena_born_wild.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 314
Likes gmax137, Rubidium_71, pinball1970 and 8 others
ZapperZ said:
...no domestic cats...

Well, POOP! My adopted feral cat was as wild as anything I can imagine, and quite photogenic.
Unlike this little bugger, who was supposed to be wild, but much friendlier than that @#^#*& cat.

in.her.stead.png

Attachments

• in.her.stead.png
    in.her.stead.png
    210.3 KB · Views: 336
Likes pinball1970, Borg, DennisN and 4 others
phinds said:

View attachment 232889
You were in no danger, he was just practicing his ten pin bowling technique.
The flexion of the wrist a dead give- away.

Likes Wrichik Basu and DennisN
This little fellow briefly took refuge on our deck before returning to the forest.

frog sender copy.jpg

Attachments

• frog sender copy.jpg
    frog sender copy.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 368
Likes davenn, BillTre, fresh_42 and 3 others
Man I wish my photo of a mother bear in my hotel didn’t get corrupted.

This is going to be a brutal contest when it comes to voting time, but here's my entry. Say "cheese!"

IMG_8538.JPG

Zz.

Attachments

• IMG_8538.JPG
    IMG_8538.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 639
Likes davenn, BillTre, Rubidium_71 and 3 others
ZapperZ said:
here's my entry. Say "cheese!"
Wow, do people on the balconies feed the giraffes? Where is that?

berkeman said:
Wow, do people on the balconies feed the giraffes? Where is that?

They are not allowed to.

This is at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge in Walt Disney World. Many of the rooms at that resort overlook the savanna filled with wild animals.

Zz.

Likes berkeman
ZapperZ said:
This is going to be a brutal contest when it comes to voting time, but here's my entry. Say "cheese!"

View attachment 233149
Zz.

Can we have 2 or 3 votes for this? Picking one is going to be very difficult.

Likes Wrichik Basu and AlexCaledin
Family photo
fullsizeoutput_e98.jpeg

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_e98.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_e98.jpeg
    61.9 KB · Views: 281
Likes davenn, AlexCaledin, Rubidium_71 and 3 others
Lots of good photos. It's going to be a wild contest.

Likes jtbell, AlexCaledin, pinball1970 and 1 other person
Technically it wasn't born, but hatched.

IMG_9256.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9256.jpg
    IMG_9256.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 245
Likes DennisN, pinball1970, phinds and 4 others
Final day to submit your photo for this brutal contest.

Zz.

1. What is the theme of the photo contest?

The theme of the photo contest is "Born Wild". This means that the photos submitted should capture the beauty and essence of wildlife in their natural habitats.

2. Who can participate in the photo contest?

The photo contest is open to anyone who is interested in wildlife photography. Both amateur and professional photographers are welcome to submit their photos.

3. How many photos can I submit?

You can submit up to 3 photos for the photo contest. However, each photo must be unique and not previously submitted in any other contests.

4. What are the criteria for judging?

The photos will be judged based on creativity, composition, technical quality, and how well it captures the theme of "Born Wild". The judges will also consider the story behind the photo and the overall impact it has on the viewer.

5. When will the winners be announced?

The winners will be announced on November 10th on the contest website and social media pages. The winners will also be notified via email.