Photo Contest - You Animal (6/6-6/13)

In summary, the contest rules state that any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. Members are allowed to submit ONE picture per contest. The picture must be of an animal and must be live. The photo must be no larger than 650 x 490 pixels and must not have been edited in any way. The photo must be posted in the relevant contest thread and linked using the img command. The poll at the end of the contest will determine the winner.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
You Animal!

This time, our theme involves animal/s. Your picture must include animal/s as the main focus of the picture.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a grey area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. But other than that, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that YOU TOOK, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can I take a picture of yomamma?

He said 'animals', not 'insects'.

My fruitbat.

ricco63yz.jpg

Do they have to be live animals or are stuffed animals or other representations of animals allowed?

How could they prove that it's stuffed?

I assume you mean non-human animals? :tongue:

I have two I'm really trying to decide between. One's an old favorite, and one's a fairly new photo. As you can imagine, I have a few animal photos. :biggrin:

Danger said:
How could they prove that it's stuffed?
Button eyes? Stitched mouth, perhaps? The tell tale purple fur? :rolleyes:

You do know the difference, I hope, between 'teddy bear' stuffed and 'taxidermy' stuffed? :tongue: Ever seen "Weekend at Bernie's"? :tongue:

Last edited:
Okay, I was going to go with one of sheep in snow (the subject always amuses me), but decided since it was a scan of an old photo, it just doesn't have the quality I'd like for the contest, so here's something not so fuzzy. :biggrin:

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/6836/ribbit9vs.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Moonbear said:
Okay, I was going to go with one of sheep in snow (the subject always amuses me), but decided since it was a scan of an old photo, it just doesn't have the quality I'd like for the contest, so here's something not so fuzzy. :biggrin:

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/6836/ribbit9vs.jpg
Oh,[/URL] NO FAIR! A frog with teeth. :grumpy:

Wait, that's not an "animal". :wink:

Where is pengwunio, I need to snap a pic of him...:confused:

Now look what the cats brought in!

http://img351.imageshack.us/img351/16/ourmidnightvisitorsized8af.jpg

Evo said:
So is it a vegetable or a mineral then? :confused:

Moonbear, does Doc Toxyn know that you're snooping in his albums?

Evo said:
Is too! I think s/he lives under my deck (or I hope that's what I hear rustling around under there :uhh:). I'm still waiting for DocToxyn to come along and tell me what type of froggy it is. I think I posted the more washed out looking photo last time, because it was more of a close-up. This one came out more vivid (I took about 5 pictures of it, playing with different exposure settings and with/without flash, etc., before it got annoyed and hopped away).

Ivan Seeking said:
Oh,[/URL] I can see this thread is going to get brutal. :frown:

Ivan Seeking said:
[/URL]
That definitely gets the AWWWWWWWWWWWW points! :approve:

Evo said:
My fruitbat.

ricco63yz.jpg
Looks more like a really cute dog than a fruitbat, Evo. You might want to get your prescription checked on your glasses. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Looks more like a really cute dog than a fruitbat, Evo. You might want to get your prescription checked on your glasses. :biggrin:
But look how I captured him curling his tongue!

Uhm, he's a dog? Then why does he hang from the ceiling?

I'm thinking Chimaera...but a cute chimaera...:biggrin:

Evo said:
Oh, I can see this thread is going to get brutal. :frown:
No kidding! Ivan, I seriously hope that it's water-based paint you put on that cat.

Danger said:
No kidding! Ivan, I seriously hope that it's water-based paint you put on that cat.
Oh, were you not a member yet when Ivan had the 7 baby skunks that needed naming? It was soon followed by MIH having about 10,000 ants that needed naming. :rofl:

Moonbear said:
Oh, were you not a member yet when Ivan had the 7 baby skunks that needed naming?
Yeah... I was just going for the cheap 'Pepe lePew' joke. :redface:

I was using a cheap digital camera, so instead of photographic quality, I'm going for the cute, timing, and courage votes. :biggrin:

Phoebe 6 1/2 weeks old (before her ears popped up):

phoebe04.jpg

Jeff Reid said:

phoebe04.jpg
I think everyone is going for cute points here! She's adorable! Don't let Integral's wife see that picture though, or she might have to steal her...I think that's just about the size dog she likes.

Moonbear said:
I think that's just about the size dog she likes.
Didn't you see Jeff's Members Photo entry? Given what an ancient specimen he is, that must be 20 years old... and Phoebe was an adult dog then. :tongue:

z-component said:
Can I take a picture of yomamma?
Danger said:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Hahhahahaha!

Phoebe is only 5 years old now, and I'm barely 49 1/2 years older than that. Don't worry though, when playing computer games, I use headphones so the creaking of my bones doesn't drown out the game sounds.

Edit, Phoebe is 5 years old, not 4 1/2, I keep hearing "It's a Small World" over and over in my brain, and it's affecting my thinking process.

Last edited:
Danger said:
"insects" are not 6 feet tall

yomamma said:
"insects" are not 6 feet tall
You never saw "Them"? And a tapeworm can easily exceed 6 feet when held vertically.

Moonbear said:
Oh good lord, that photo scared the bejeebus out of me! That dog looks like it's ready to jump out of the screen and go for the jugular!

I told you he's just smiling :rofl: lol, he's really just the biggest sweetie ever.

Jeff Reid said:
So the dog is listening to "It's a Small World" in that picture?
Yes, but only because it just ate half of Disney Studios.

Danger said:
Yes, but only because it just ate half of Disney Studios.
:rofl: I think it's just laughing about all the small children it just ate.

Yeah, you can tell it's not really a snarl (nose isn't wrinkly, mouth is too open, ears aren't completely pinned back), but the way the camera caught it really makes it look vicious.

Jeff Reid said:

phoebe04.jpg

What a cutie!
You must have huge hands to make that tennis ball look so small...