PF5 Problems & Errors: Report & Discuss

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: doesn't work for me at all. when I try to view the desktop site on my laptop, it's fine, but on my phone it's just a bunch of white squares.I had this problem too. I'm using Chrome on Android.On my phone, it just shows a white screen. I'm using Firefox on Android.On my phone, it just shows a white screen. I'm using Firefox on Android.
I suspect it's a "ban me and remove my name from everything" request that's been granted for some reason (you can find the original username fairly simply). There is at least one other user I'm aware of whose name is also not a link, but isn't just a member number.

• Informative
Likes phinds
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the account has been removed.
This is the intended behavior of the forum.

• Informative
Likes dlgoff, Greg Bernhardt and phinds
Hi @Greg Bernhardt . I was trying to use the Search advanced feature to find threads where 2 (or more) PF members have contributed.

However, every time I enter 2 PFS member names, (under "Posted by:" with PFS Member X and Member Y) I only see cases where posts by Member X or Member Y, not Member X and Member Y. Is there a way to use the AND option in searches?

Likes Tom.G
StatGuy2000 said:
Is there a way to use the AND option in searches?
AND works for keywords not users

Greg Bernhardt said:
AND works for keywords not users

That's a shame, as I would like to see AND expand for users as well (since there are cases where I would want to look up posts of 2 different PF users in a thread). I seem to recall that the previous version of PF had this capability. Is this something that is possible to update in the future?

Likes Tom.G
StatGuy2000 said:
I seem to recall that the previous version of PF had this capability. Is this something that is possible to update in the future?
hmmm I don't remember, but I would think not because the software doesn't often remove features. I can put in a request for the devs to put it into core, but since this is the first time I've heard this request, I don't think it will happen anytime soon.

Likes Tom.G and phinds
Greg Bernhardt said:
hmmm I don't remember, but I would think not because the software doesn't often remove features. I can put in a request for the devs to put it into core, but since this is the first time I've heard this request, I don't think it will happen anytime soon.

Thanks Greg. No rush, just a nice-to-have in my personal opinion.

If it's too much trouble to implement, and/or if not enough others are interested, then no need to proceed any further.

Recent weird occurrences:
  • I noticed today that (for me at least) the emoticon for liking (or whatever) a post for informative has changed to a red thumbs down symbol. However, when you hover over it, it still says informative.
  • A day or two ago, I had a post I wrote and saved as a draft. When I returned to it, the links I had inserted had expanded and propagated greatly. They encompassed whole paragraphs (rather than a word or two) and made separate links in neighboring paragraphs.

BillTre said:
A day or two ago, I had a post I wrote and saved as a draft. When I returned to it, the links I had inserted had expanded and propagated greatly. They encompassed whole paragraphs (rather than a word or two) and made separate links in neighboring paragraphs.
You can differentiate between a link like
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/postindex/#toggle-id-1and a link like
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/postindex/#toggle-id-1
but it is complicated.

First, insert the link and click "Post Reply".
Second, re-enter under the "Edit" option.
Third, click "Toggle BB-Code".
Fourth, change the entry unfurl="true" to unfurl="false" at the link's URL tag or delete it.
Fifth, don't forget to click on "Toggle BB-Code" again, since otherwise you will get strange edit behaviour next time you use the editor.
Sixth, click "Save".

o0):oldbiggrin::cool:

Maybe I was not clear.
I fixed the links before I posted the post and it came out OK.

fresh_42 said:
and a link like
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/postindex/#toggle-id-1
but it is complicated.
A link like the above would have expanded after saving the draft and then reopening it, such that the blue covered the whole paragraph it was in as well as neighboring paragraphs.

The emoticons I am referring to show whether I like a post or had some other opinion about them.
Nothing special.

BillTre said:
I noticed today that (for me at least) the emoticon for liking (or whatever) a post for informative has changed to a red thumbs down symbol. However, when you hover over it, it still says informative.
Seems that informative is removed and changed to dislike button:
Screenshot_20190724-013040.png

The last one seems to be new too.

Wrichik Basu said:
Seems that informative is removed and changed to dislike button:
But is still labelled informative if you hover over it.

I like the skeptical one. I have already used it.

Mine look justt like @Wrichik Basu's.

Two continents to one, you lose.

BillTre said:
Mine look justt like @Wrichik Basu's.

Two continents to one, you lose.
I get those with Opera! (Haven't installed Firefox here.)

Using Firefox on a Mac.

\begin{array}{c|c|c}
\text{ Anger Icon } & \text{ Info Icon } & \text{ unclear }\\
\hline \\
\text{ Chrome Mac, Android } & \text{ Chrome PC } & \text{ both effects reported on different OS }\\
\text{ FireFox (Mac, W10) }& \text{ Firefox (W7) } &\text{ both effects reported on different OS }\\
\text{ Opera } && \text{ Edge }\\
&&\text{ IE }\\
&&\text{ Safari }\\
&&\text{ Maxthon }\\
&&\text{ Rockmelt }\\
&&\text{ Seamonkey }\\
&&\text{ DeepNet }
\end{array}

Greg Bernhardt said:
Clear your browser caches
No change in Opera.

Last edited:
Cleared my browser caches, no change.

Just tried Chrome and it looks like it does on Firefox (red thumbs down and red skeptical).

Just restarted my computer also, with no effect.

fresh_42 said:
These are mine:
View attachment 247035
at least here.:oldconfused:
That's what I get as well, under Firefox on a Windows 7 workstation. Same as I've always seen since the new system was installed except that the last one, "skeptical", is new

StatGuy2000 said:
Hi @Greg Bernhardt . I was trying to use the Search advanced feature to find threads where 2 (or more) PF members have contributed.

However, every time I enter 2 PFS member names, (under "Posted by:" with PFS Member X and Member Y) I only see cases where posts by Member X or Member Y, not Member X and Member Y. Is there a way to use the AND option in searches?
The software always searches posts. A post is from a single user.
BillTre said:
A link like the above would have expanded after saving the draft and then reopening it, such that the blue covered the whole paragraph it was in as well as neighboring paragraphs.
Messed up BB code somewhere I guess, but hard to diagnose based on that description.

@Greg Bernhardt: I cleared my cache (sort of) and it went from the light bulb to the red downvote icon. It was good before! But after reloading it was good again, just a one-time glitch.
Firefox/windows.

mfb said:
Messed up BB code somewhere I guess, but hard to diagnose based on that description.
I don't use the BB code, but I suppose I could have hit a button or some keys without noticing.
I will see if it happens again in the future.

I have the anger icon on a new installed Firefox (W10).

Here is how Opera displays the png (Chrome has it correct).
If I download the png file as linked, and open it with a graphic program, then the downloaded version are different in Opera and Chrome, too.

1563941285806.png

Last edited:
Yup, somthin' has a-changed. Old Firefox 43 on Win XP here.
Second icon used to show the lightbulb, now it shows thumbsdown. Hoovering over it shows text 'Informative'. When I click on it, (on Greg's post 306 above) it shows as Red Thumbsdown.

Trying a Copy Image here:
Hmm, it copied the text, not the image. (I'm getting behind, same result after Greg purged the file from CDN and I did a page refresh)

I note that the second emoji has "id=7", the rest are in numeric order
Greg Bernhardt said:
Just did an exhaustive search and that .png file does not reside on this computer, even though I've used a couple Likes in this session.

OOPS! the repeat only shows up in the local edit window; not in what gets posted.

PLEASE IGNORE, OR DELETE, THIS AND THE TWO PRIOR POSTS.o:)

BillTre said:
But is still labelled informative if you hover over it.
Yes, the labels are the same as before.
fresh_42 said:
I get those with Opera! (Haven't installed Firefox here.)
The interesting fact is, I am not getting the red icons from Chrome on my laptop (Win 10, the latest version of chrome). The screenshot that I posted was from Chrome on Android.
Greg Bernhardt said:
Clear your browser caches
I see the red icons on Android even after clearing cache and cookies.
Greg Bernhardt said:
From laptop, I am seeing the yellow icons, but from Android, I am seeing the red icons, same as what @fresh_42 posted in #307.

Everything was tried on Chrome, no other browser was used.

Greg Bernhardt said:
No changes in Opera. The "like" I set was said "informative" with "thumb down" shown, and the "download linked content" led to the wrong png file, too, displayed by an image program, no browser.

I think the file is not what makes the difference, it is the interpreters which do. Can you post the file as an attachment rather than a link? I would like to see what happens if I download the file without being interpreted by the browser first and see what happens.

The only solution I see is, either to change the two icons into something which is not interpreted differently or to drop them. Of course I don't know whether this is a "quickly done" or "impossible" change.

fresh_42 said:
No changes in Opera. The "like" I set was said "informative" with "thumb down" shown, and the "download linked content" led to the wrong png file, too, displayed by an image program, no browser.

When you click the CDN link, you see a image with the "thumbs down" icon?

fresh_42 said:
I think the file is not what makes the difference, it is the interpreters which do.

What is an interpreter?

• Skeptical
Likes fresh_42