Ph.D. in Systems & Engineering Management

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's decision to apply for a hybrid program that allows part-time classes with a residency requirement for two summers. The program is generous in transferring courses and offers in-state rates. The speaker also mentions taking courses to make up deficiencies, including learning Python and R for a Statistics course. They ask for any preparatory suggestions and share their motivation for wanting to help businesses improve their processes and contribute to society. They also list courses they have taken and future courses they plan to take in their MA Mathematics program.
Shackleford
I've decided that after I finish my MA Math next year I'm going to apply to this program. It's actually a hybrid program that allows people to take classes part time. They do have a modest residency requirement for two consecutive summers, and they're generous in transferring courses. I live in Texas, so I'll get the in-state rates.

http://www.depts.ttu.edu/ieweb/grad/phd-sem/curriculum.php

I have a few deficiencies to make up. Among those, I need to learn how to program, so I'm starting with Python. In the fall, I'll have to learn R for my Statistics course.

What do you think of the program? Anymore preparatory suggestions? Thanks.

Here are some courses that I've taken:

Modern Physics I, II
Intermediate Mechanics
Thermal Physics
Modern Optics
Calculus I, II, III
Differential Equations
Abstract Algebra
Intermediate Analysis
Discrete Math
Probability
Advanced Linear Algebra I, II
Intermediate Macroeconomic Theory

MA Mathematics - Expected graduation summer/fall 2016
Analysis
Introduction to Differential Geometry
Differential Equations (current semester)
Complex Analysis (current semester)
Future courses: Number Theory, Statistics, Regression and Linear Models

Physics news on Phys.org
what do you want out of that program?

Well, simply put, I'd like to be able help businesses improve their processes or operations by making them more efficient/productive. Productivity is central in Austrian economics, and I'd like to contribute value to society in this manner. When this refinement occurs, standards of living are raised. I suppose that's the highfalutin sentimental motivation.

1. What is a Ph.D. in Systems & Engineering Management?

A Ph.D. in Systems & Engineering Management is an advanced degree that focuses on the application of systems thinking and engineering principles to the management of complex systems. It combines elements of engineering, management, and systems theory to prepare students for high-level leadership positions in various industries.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing a Ph.D. in Systems & Engineering Management?

Graduates with a Ph.D. in Systems & Engineering Management have a unique skill set that is highly sought after in today's global market. They possess the ability to understand and manage complex systems, make data-driven decisions, and lead interdisciplinary teams. They also have the opportunity to pursue a variety of career paths, including academia, research, and industry.

3. What are the prerequisites for a Ph.D. in Systems & Engineering Management?

The prerequisites for a Ph.D. in Systems & Engineering Management vary depending on the institution, but most programs require applicants to have a master's degree in a related field, such as engineering, computer science, or business. Some programs may also require applicants to have relevant work experience and strong academic performance.

4. How long does it take to complete a Ph.D. in Systems & Engineering Management?

The length of a Ph.D. in Systems & Engineering Management program can vary, but on average, it takes 4-5 years to complete. This includes coursework, research, and dissertation writing. Some programs may offer part-time options, which can extend the program's duration.

5. What career opportunities are available for graduates with a Ph.D. in Systems & Engineering Management?

Graduates with a Ph.D. in Systems & Engineering Management have a wide range of career opportunities, including but not limited to, project manager, systems engineer, operations manager, research scientist, and consultant. They are highly sought after in industries such as healthcare, transportation, energy, and manufacturing, among others.