Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phase change in lock-in amplifier

1. Jun 27, 2013 #1
    I just started to use a lock-in amplifier, and I am trying to following the procedures by adjusting zero phase. But my input phase changes with time and sensitivity, and I couldn't lock in onto it. The question is, is this normal that phase changes all the time during the experiment or if there is something wrong with it?

here is some numbers

pre-amplifier sensitivity was set to 1e-5,1e-6,1e-7)
    With lock-in amplifier sensitivity (1 mV), phase changes between ~ +170 through -170 degrees
    With lock-in amplifier sensitivity (5 mV), phase changes between ~ +90 through -90 degress
    With lock-in amplifier sensitivity (10 mV), phase changes between ~ +40 through -40 degrees

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2013 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Hi, Mikech, and welcome to Physics Forums. :smile:

The phase difference varies with the gain of the error amplifier (sensitivity). That's how the PLL works. I'm not sure what you mean by time, but I'd look closely at your measuring techniques, before concluding that the arrangement is not working as advertised. :smile:

Obviously, the signal generator you are coupling to the circuit should not be affected by the circuit. You should use the input as reference (usually).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook