Phase difference between sound waves

In summary: So I suggest not to do thatIn summary, the conversation discusses finding the phase difference between two sound waves created by two sources at different distances from a given point. The correct answer was determined to be 13.4 radians, but it is unclear if other answers in the form of (13.4 + 2npi) would also be accepted. The conversation also delves into the concept of phase difference and the importance of specifying the unit in which it is measured.
FAS1998
I had to find the phase difference between sound waves created by two sources at different distances from a given point. I found the correct answer to be about 13.4.

Would any other answer of the form (13.4 + 2npi) also be correct, assuming n is a non-zero integer? Or is 13.4 the only correct answer because it tells you how many wavelengths one wave is ahead of the other?

Physics news on Phys.org
I understand your idea. A path difference of ## \frac {π}{3}## is the same as a path difference of ## \frac{7π}{3}or \frac {10π}{3} ## etc.
But we would say for all such paths that the phase difference was ## \frac {π}{3} ##

In your question you know the actual paths and the path difference. So I'd think you are being asked to say what phase difference an observer at the given point will see. They will not be able to tell how many whole waves difference there is between the paths. All they will see is the difference in phase within one cycle.

So you're probably near enough there. But your answer does not tell me the phase difference! What phase is 13.4 ?
If it's 13.4 radians, that's odd, because that's more than 2π.
Maybe it's 13.4 degrees? That's less than 2π radians, so it could be a phase difference. But you need to say.
Maybe it's a distance? If so you need to convert it into a phase. If you tell me the path difference is 13.4 cm and the wavelength is 53.6cm, then I could work out that the phase is ## \frac{2π}{4} = \frac {π}{2} or 90^o ## but so could you, and you should.
Maybe it's 13.4 msec ? Then the same applies. finish the calculation and give a phase.

Edit: Sorry, I'm assuming in the first paragraph that I'm working in radians. I should have said (just as I tell you to do!)

Likes FAS1998
Merlin3189 said:
I understand your idea. A path difference of ## \frac {π}{3}## is the same as a path difference of ## \frac{7π}{3}or \frac {10π}{3} ## etc.
But we would say for all such paths that the phase difference was ## \frac {π}{3} ##

In your question you know the actual paths and the path difference. So I'd think you are being asked to say what phase difference an observer at the given point will see. They will not be able to tell how many whole waves difference there is between the paths. All they will see is the difference in phase within one cycle.

So you're probably near enough there. But your answer does not tell me the phase difference! What phase is 13.4 ?
If it's 13.4 radians, that's odd, because that's more than 2π.
Maybe it's 13.4 degrees? That's less than 2π radians, so it could be a phase difference. But you need to say.
Maybe it's a distance? If so you need to convert it into a phase. If you tell me the path difference is 13.4 cm and the wavelength is 53.6cm, then I could work out that the phase is ## \frac{2π}{4} = \frac {π}{2} or 90^o ## but so could you, and you should.
Maybe it's 13.4 msec ? Then the same applies. finish the calculation and give a phase.

Edit: Sorry, I'm assuming in the first paragraph that I'm working in radians. I should have said (just as I tell you to do!)
The answer was in radians. For context, the homework problem was online, had automatic grading, and said my answer of 13.4 radians was correct. The equation I used was P = 2(pi)L/λ, where L is the difference in path lengths and P is the phase difference. Plugging in gave me an answer of 13.4. I’m not sure if the automatic grading would’ve accepted other answers.

Would it be incorrect to write a phase difference of pi/3 as 7pi/3, or just unconventional?

FAS1998 said:
Would it be incorrect to write a phase difference of pi/3 as 7pi/3, or just unconventional?
Just unconventional, IMO; not technically wrong. However, it is unconventional enough to confuse people, I think.

Likes FAS1998 and Merlin3189

1. What is the phase difference between sound waves?

The phase difference between sound waves refers to the difference in the starting point or phase of two sound waves. It is measured in degrees or radians and can determine whether the two waves are in phase (starting at the same point) or out of phase (starting at different points).

2. How is the phase difference between sound waves measured?

The phase difference between sound waves can be measured using a device called an oscilloscope. This device displays the sound waves as a graph, with the x-axis representing time and the y-axis representing amplitude. The phase difference can be calculated by measuring the time difference between the two waves.

3. What causes a phase difference between sound waves?

A phase difference between sound waves can be caused by a number of factors, including the distance between the sound source and the listener, reflections and interference from other objects, and the frequency and wavelength of the sound waves. It can also be intentionally created through the use of phase shifters or delay effects in audio equipment.

4. How does the phase difference between sound waves affect the perceived sound?

The phase difference between sound waves can affect the perceived sound in several ways. If the waves are in phase, they will reinforce each other and create a louder sound. If they are out of phase, they will cancel each other out and create a quieter sound. This can also result in a change in the timbre or quality of the sound.

5. Why is the phase difference between sound waves important?

The phase difference between sound waves is important in many aspects of acoustics and audio engineering. It can affect the overall sound quality and loudness of a recording or live performance. It is also crucial in areas such as sound localization, where the brain uses differences in phase between the ears to determine the direction and location of a sound source.