1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phase Difference between two waves from antennas

1. Apr 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two antennas located at points A and B are broadcasting radio waves of frequency 96.0 MHz, perfectly in phase with each other. The two antennas are separated by a distance d=12.40m. An observer, P, is located on the x axis, a distance x=55.0m from antenna A, so that APB forms a right triangle with PB as hypotenuse. What is the phase difference between the waves arriving at P from antennas A and B? Use units of "rad" for the answer. (If you are stuck, read the hint.)

2. Relevant equations
    1 wavelength = 2pi radians
    m * lambda / distance between slits = distance between maxima (y) / Distance to screen
    c/f = lambda

3. The attempt at a solution
    First, I converted 96MHz to wavelengths, = 3.125 m
    Then, I wanted to find the pathlength of AP and the pathlength of BP, but I don't know how to do this without knowing the distance between maxima (y). If I had y, I could find the value of the order (m), and then I would know the pathlength difference. How do I solve for this?

Finally, I will convert the pathlength distance to radians with the above formula. I just don't understand how to get the pathlength distance.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2010 #2
    I know that AP = 55m and BP = 56.4m, I just don't know how to find the wavelength of pathlength difference

4. Apr 12, 2010 #3
    So I know the difference in the paths is 1.4m, but when I multiply that by the wavelength, (3.125m), and convert to radians it is wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook