Investigating the Behavior of a Diff. Eq. w/ Constant K & W

In summary, the conversation discusses a differential equation with constants K and W and how to draw a phase portrait by setting ky - w = 0 and determining its solutions at y = w/k. It also mentions studying the behavior of the solution at values greater and less than w/k by plugging in 2w/k and -2w/k and checking the sign. The speaker also confirms their understanding and adds that the equation can be solved explicitly, but a graphical analysis is also effective.
David Donald
So I have a diff eq
dy/dx = ky - w

where K and W are constant's
I want to draw a phase portrait
so i set ky - w = 0

and determine the expression equals 0 at y = w/k

so I want to study the behavior of the solution greater w/k
and less than w/k
so I plug (2w/k) and (-2w/k) and check the sign

so k(2w/k) - w = w Positive

and

k(-2w/k) - w = -3w Negative

Did I determine this correctly? I feel like I am doing something horribly wrong here

Physics news on Phys.org
you must specify the sign of the constants ##k,w## before, so you know where put the constant solutions on the phase plane ...

David Donald said:
Did I determine this correctly? I feel like I am doing something horribly wrong here
Yes, assuming your constants ##k## and ##w## are positive, also see the remark by @Ssnow. Is this a simple model of an exponentially growing population with growth rate ##k## and constant harvesting ##w##?

Two more remarks:
  1. You have a first order equation, so there isn't really a phase plane or a phase portrait but more a phase line.
  2. You probably already knew this, but you can easily solve the ODE explicitly. However, a graphical analysis like yours also gives all the information.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model various real-world phenomena, such as the growth of populations, the movement of objects, and the behavior of electrical circuits.

2. What is the role of the constant K in a differential equation?

The constant K, also known as the arbitrary constant, is a number that is added to the solution of the differential equation. It accounts for any variations or unknown factors in the system being modeled. In some cases, the value of K can be determined by applying initial conditions to the equation.

3. How does the value of K affect the behavior of the differential equation?

The value of K can significantly impact the behavior of a differential equation. It can determine whether the solution is stable or unstable, oscillatory or exponential, and can also affect the overall shape of the solution curve. Changing the value of K can result in different solutions and behaviors of the system being modeled.

4. What is the significance of the constant w in a differential equation?

The constant w, also known as the frequency, is a measure of how fast the system being modeled changes over time. It plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of the solution curve, particularly in oscillatory systems. A higher value of w typically results in a faster-changing solution, while a lower value leads to a slower-changing solution.

5. What are some real-world applications of differential equations with constant K and w?

Differential equations with constant K and w are used in numerous fields, such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They can be used to model the motion of objects under the influence of external forces, the growth and decline of populations, the behavior of electrical circuits, and the spread of disease. They are also essential in the study of vibrations, waves, and other periodic phenomena.