Phase velocity of EM radiation in free space

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 4K views
ZedCar
Messages
353
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



(i) What is the phase velocity of EM radiation in free space?

(ii) What is its group velocity?


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



Using the definition as per this page:
http://physicsdaily.com/physics/Phase_velocity

(i) Vp = (C^2)/Vg

(ii) Vg = (C^2)/Vp
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ZedCar said:

Homework Statement



(i) What is the phase velocity of EM radiation in free space?

(ii) What is its group velocity?
They are the same: c

AM
 
Andrew Mason said:
They are the same: c

AM

So is the eqn which I have referred to, and used for my solution, the incorrect one to use on this occasion?

Thanks
 
ZedCar said:
So is the eqn which I have referred to, and used for my solution, the incorrect one to use on this occasion?
The equation is correct: VpVg = c^2 ; Vp=Vg=c

AM
 
Andrew Mason said:
The equation is correct: VpVg = c^2 ; Vp=Vg=c

AM

Since, as you have above Vp=Vg=c, does that mean I can further reduce the two solutions I had in my original post from

(i) Vp = (C^2)/Vg

(ii) Vg = (C^2)/Vp

to

(i) Vp = c

(ii) Vg = c
 
ZedCar said:
Since, as you have above Vp=Vg=c, does that mean I can further reduce the two solutions I had in my original post from

(i) Vp = (C^2)/Vg

(ii) Vg = (C^2)/Vp

to

(i) Vp = c

(ii) Vg = c
You cannot conclude that Vp = c from the equation: VpVg=c2. You would have to know that the phase velocity of light in a vacuum is equal to the group velocity.

A difference between phase velocity and group velocity occurs if the speed of a wave is frequency dependent. But the speed of em waves in a vacuum do not depend on frequency.

AM
 
Andrew Mason said:
You cannot conclude that Vp = c from the equation: VpVg=c2. You would have to know that the phase velocity of light in a vacuum is equal to the group velocity.

Yes, of course. That's a silly mistake to have made.

Thanks again.